Talk

Advanced search

Spraying advice please???

(5 Posts)
Catlady45 Sun 14-May-17 20:35:52

Hi I'm sure this has been done before but wondering if anyone had any advice ?

I have 3 cats and recently my tom cat started spraying in the house. He was neutered at about 14 weeks and we never had a problem with him spraying. he is now 5. we re-homed his mum when he was 2. Whilst they've never been the best of friends they tolerate each other. We then got our youngest kitten. She loves him and always tries to brush up against him. He actually seems to quite like the company.

About 2 months ago he started spraying in the house. He seemed to only do this in front of us and after advice from vet they said to get a sample but was most likely behavioural. Eventually got a sample and turned out we had a really unwell boy. Lots of struvite crystals that thankfully hadn't formed stones, anti-biotics and now on a special diet.

With 3 cats this has been rather difficult so they now have set mealtimes, morning and night and a small amount of dry food if they're looking for it.

I have found the odd spray around the house but had thought it had stopped. However he just came in the house, walked round living room and shook his tail a couple times (he often does this without spraying, usually when he seems happy to see you ) but i found a tiny amount of urine where he did it.

Cleaned area put vinegar down to deter him from that area again. Any one any ideas? Its been a month since hes been on this special diet so i would have thought he would be feeling better. The vet seemed to think it was down to the infection but i have no idea what to do.

sorry for the long post sad just thought i would put it all down in case anyone had any ideas.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 14-May-17 20:55:19

He could have some infection, if ours gets one he wees where you can see.

Ask them to manually extract a sample if you can't get one.

Catlady45 Sun 14-May-17 21:11:43

i was wondering if it could be that but its been over a month, hes been drinking water and we've managed to 90% keep him to the special food and his urine sample had cleared up bar the struvite crystals sad

is it possible it was an accident since it was such a small amount ? I'm due a baby in a few months and hope he doesn't get stressed out by it x

i should also say they are all outdoor cats so can come and go as they please and have plenty of their own space x

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 14-May-17 21:17:32

I don't think cats have accidents, they can hold a wee really well.

I'd ring the vet.

Catlady45 Sun 14-May-17 21:19:13

thanks fluffy x really thought he was getting better x ill need to get the special cat litter the vet gave us last time x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now