Talk

Advanced search

Claw Clipping

(28 Posts)
PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 14-May-17 16:33:19

Does anyone have their cat's claws clipped? We got home from holiday yesterday to be met by a bloodstained Harry who we presume had stuck a claw in his face while having a scratch - he's got history for this and I had to remove an old claw from his chin once!

We are thinking of getting his claws clipped but I'm not sure whether it's a good idea or not. He hasn't got many teeth (no fangs) and I worry that we're taking away another line of defence. The garden is cat proofed so it shouldn't be a problem but I don't want to take any chances. Also he uses a scratching post and doesn't sharpen up on the furniture so I don't want to upset his delicate paws in case he starts on the sofa!

Thanks in advance for any advice

cozietoesie Sun 14-May-17 19:54:20

I had them done 'properly' at the vets when he was in for a GA but generally, with Seniorboy, I used to help him out by nipping the tips of his claws off myself. (He was ageing and stiff/lacking in muscle power and teeth so couldn't really do them himself, back or front towards the end.) That seemed to work fine. smile

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 14-May-17 20:36:38

Thanks cozie. He's back at the vet next Monday for x rays (the next installment in the saga of his jaw) so I might get them to do them then. As long as it doesn't upset him any more than necessary!

How are things with you?

cozietoesie Sun 14-May-17 20:46:21

Seniorboy didn't seem to notice the clipping - not even the 'big' clipping. I'd ask them to do it while he's under for the X-ray. It's very quick.

Check they remember though. smile

I'm well thanks. Missing my lad but Hey Ho.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 14-May-17 20:51:01

It would save more 'incidents' as he's not the most delicate cat out there!

Glad you're doing ok, I often think about you and Senior Boy

cozietoesie Mon 15-May-17 16:39:21

How did he get on?

cozietoesie Mon 15-May-17 16:40:10

Sorry. Or was it a week today? smile

TheMysteriousJackelope Mon 15-May-17 16:44:17

If he goes outside a lot I think I would leave it.

I trim our mostly indoor cat's claws myself. I use a toenail clipper and just trim off the pointy ends of her claws. I am careful to only take the nail, not the part where there are nerves or tissue inside the claw as that would hurt her a lot. It means clipping her claws more frequently but it saves her pain. Now she is old the claws are becoming very thick and curling into her pad if left, so it has to be done to save her discomfort.

I gently press on a pad so that a claw extends and then clip the end.

She only goes outside when I am with her and never more than a few feet from the front door so I don't have to worry about fighting other animals. We did see an armadillo in the garden last year but they both studiously refused to acknowledge the other's existence.

cozietoesie Mon 15-May-17 17:16:27

An armadillo? I take it you're not in the UK. wink

TheMysteriousJackelope Mon 15-May-17 18:45:00

I am in the Southern US.

If you clip the claws it probably would be a good idea to set up a calendar with reminders to ensure it is done regularly. I used to do our cats once a month, but now her claws are so thick and aren't being worn down from walking I should really check her once a week.

glamourousgranny42 Mon 15-May-17 18:51:58

My elderly cat isn't mobile enough to scratch so his claws need clipping. He doesn't like me doing it so I have to take him to the vet. They're really good. 2 minute job.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 15-May-17 19:55:12

He goes in next Monday cozie. I'm still wondering if I'm doing the right thing but that's a whole other thread!

I spoke to the vets this morning and they've made a note to clip his claws. They said if he went out of the garden they wouldn't recommend it due to his lack of teeth but as the garden is now cat proofed there's no problem. Luckily the only predators he should come into contact with are snails, although they do move faster than him sometimes!

We'll have it done this time and see how he goes.

cozietoesie Mon 15-May-17 20:00:50

I have a feeling - from observation only - that cats only use their teeth to do their back claws. Certainly, I never saw Seniorboy touch his back claws after he had all but one of his teeth removed - some friction on the floors was all he had.

If the lad doesn't go outside seriously - and he doesn't have many teeth left if I recall? - then you might have to assist him with those in any case.

Good luck to him for next Monday. smile

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 16-May-17 09:16:53

He's still got his little front teeth and seems to manage his back claws OK - he gets them between his teeth and pulls!

Now we've cat proofed he seems happy enough pottering around in the garden and he's got a mix of concrete, decking and artificial grass which he sharpens up on as though it's carpet!

Toddlerteaplease Tue 16-May-17 11:07:27

Cats tiny front teeth are the cutest thing ever!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 16-May-17 11:56:22

I know! I love his little teeth, except when he grabs the skin on the back of my hand and pulls - they may only be tiny teeth but they bloody hurt!

Shriek Thu 18-May-17 21:55:23

anyone looked at the skin above the little teeth, underneath the lip?

hilbil21 Thu 18-May-17 22:07:39

Do you mean removing claws altogether or just cutting them OP?

Shriek Thu 18-May-17 22:32:56

noone declaws cats do they? shock

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 19-May-17 09:03:23

Oh God no, he's having a manicure not being mutilated!

Shriek, declawing is legal in the US. Thankfully we're civilised in the UK and don't think it's acceptable to amputate cat's toes.

hilbil21 Fri 19-May-17 09:09:31

Yeah that's why I was asking... I wasn't sure if you were in US or UK confused

tabulahrasa Fri 19-May-17 09:12:07

I used to get my cats done all the time at the vets when she got older, she just didn't wear them down right herself and I did try to do it myself but I could only get one at a time, lol

It didn't affect anything, they don't do them short, literally just trim the ends, she could still use them to climb and what have you.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 19-May-17 09:14:43

Sorry hilbil21, I should know that not everyone knows where I am blush

I actually feel a bit guilty having his claws trimmed but as I've found more scabs (definitely not flea bites) I think it's necessary!

tabulahrasa Fri 19-May-17 10:54:31

Honestly - don't worry about it, mine got done regularly (she was at the vets anyway) she still had totally usable claws, just a bit shorter and not quite as pointy...not that you noticed either of those things apart from to look at when they were first done.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 21-May-17 09:19:41

Oh he's definitely having them done tomorrow - we've just been bathing the skin under his eye again where he's scratched it and it's bleeding. We've got an industrial sized bottle of hibiscrub now as it cost a fortune from the vet!

A quick question - how often do they need their claws clipped? I don't think DH and I will be able to do it but I'm worried about how many extra trips to the vet he'll need (and the cost!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now