Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

It's that time of year...

(7 Posts)
Allergictoironing Sun 14-May-17 07:51:46

... when the house is filled with clouds of soft pale grey fur, floating gently around from room to room every time there's any movement. Yes, it's moulting season at Allergic Towers.

I know they are black/charcoal tabby, but both my babies have pale grey underfur and it is shedding everywhere - I'm surprised they have any coats left at all the rate they are losing it! A single stroke down the back will lead to fluff drifting off them, and a full blown all over body stroking leaves a small pile behind.

I'm not really complaining as I knew this was a bye product of cat slavery (especially indoor cats), I just wish mine would tolerate brushing. As it is, at least they let me stroke them firmly all over (even feet now) so I can get a fair bit off them.

ElizaDontlittle Sun 14-May-17 08:03:35

Mine moulted a lot when we had that warmer snap in April - my friend's DH is super allergic and could barely come in the house to pop to the toilet while we were bbq-ing in the garden. I do feel for you!! Hope they are soon all summer coated - shame that hoovering the cats is such a baaaad idea really!!

chemenger Sun 14-May-17 09:06:23

Have you tried a grooming glove? You might be able to fool them into thinking you are just stroking them. Failing that, a quick stroke with a damp hand removes masses of fur. My old tabby used to produce enough fur to knit a new cat every day, or so it seemed. Luckily she loved her zoom groom and her comb so it was relatively easy to deal with.

TizzyDongue Sun 14-May-17 09:11:58

I'm currently trying to relocate my furinator for similar reasons (I reckon I could create second cat with all the ginger fluff left about)

A glove, as suggested, might work for you if they won't be brushed

YetAnotherSpartacus Sun 14-May-17 09:45:10

Pic?

Also - can't you get those self-grooming things where they walk through brushes? or just vacuum them
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrlkXEDGpIc

Allergictoironing Sun 14-May-17 09:58:40

It's taken me almost a year for them to accept all over hand stroking, especially cowardly Boycat - again, I knew what I was signing up for when I got ex-ferals so can't complain. But I did make sure I only looked at short coated cats, so feel a little cheated that they are moulting QUITE so much grin. Just found another complete handful behind the floor length curtains (sigh).

Allergictoironing Sun 14-May-17 10:00:28

Oh and sorry no pics - my phone has decided it won't talk to the PC any more, any PC including the work Mac sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now