Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Clip cat's claws? Or vet?

(12 Posts)
Sadik Sat 13-May-17 20:43:07

I've never ever had this before with cats, but SmallCat's claws have got very long, & are getting caught in things. Dd is worried that she's going to end up hurting herself, & I think she's right.
Do I try to clip them myself (have strong sharp clippers as used to have to clip our dog's dew claws). Or is vet a better bet? She's quite a nervy timid cat, and really hates being out of her home environment - but then she also hates being held such that she doesn't feel free to leave.

fuzzywuzzy Sat 13-May-17 20:44:12

I'd take her to the vets.

Has she not got scratch posts to scratch on they usually keep claws nicely trimmed back.

Toddlerteaplease Sat 13-May-17 20:44:45

Vet does mine. £5 and stress free!

Sadik Sat 13-May-17 20:48:01

No interest in scratch boards, posts etc. (I tell a lie - she likes to sleep on the nice cardboard scratch thing I was recommended on here.) She goes outside loads too - I think she just has super-fast growing claws.

KindDogsTail Sat 13-May-17 20:52:37

I do mine with small cat clippers. Only do it in bright light and making sure you can see well. Make it so the claw is transparent so yo can see the quick. Another person should hold your cat securely but without frightening her. Press the pad slightly which extends the claws. Do this one at a time Only cut off the very tip making sure you are well away from the quick.

Want2beme Sat 13-May-17 22:06:44

Take her to vet. There shouldn't be any need to clip a cat's claws if they go out a lot, so the vet will tell you if there's something wrong that they're growing so quickly. Cats need their claws for balance and to protect themselves.

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 13-May-17 22:38:21

If the cat has pale claws it's quite easy , as you can see the pink bit inside that you shouldn't cut into. If the cat has dark claws, or won't stay sill, then vet job.

WeeCheekyBird Sat 13-May-17 22:41:29

I clip mine myself. The cat hates it and will make a fuss but he has never been one to bite or scratch and has been well handled so doesn't really freak out too much (he does hiss a lot though)

It really depends on your cats personality and what's less stressful for them.

GRW Sat 13-May-17 23:13:46

My old girl died in March aged 19. A few months ago her claws got so long that one of them curled round and pierced her paw pad I took her to the vet nurse who cut them. We didn't need to see the vet and it only cost £8. As she tended to bite I wouldn't risk doing it myself.

ElizaDontlittle Sun 14-May-17 08:06:47

Our vet did them with crazycat's jabs (who was then an indoor cat) and showed me how to know where to cut. However I have started cautiously letting her out and it's not such an issue now (maybe cos she's out having fun not leaping on my shoulders when I'm in a towel from the shower ) but if they are getting stuck in things - I'd say vet the first time, and just ask if they will show you how as they are usually all for minimising trauma.

Sadik Sun 14-May-17 12:29:16

I think I'm going to take her to the vet. She came to us from a rescue as a young adult, & while she's very friendly, she definitely likes it to be on her terms. I reckon I might get one claw clipped and then have a cat that won't talk to me for the next six months.

(DDog was the opposite - I used to pretty much sit on him & clip his claws - I suspect anyone else would have had to muzzle & sedate him to get anywhere near his toes grin )

Sadik Mon 15-May-17 17:16:41

Well, we all survived the experience, the vet + assistant both still have 10 fingers, and the gremlin has shorter claws.
Here she is prior to the visit demonstrating her charm, elegance (and claws).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now