Talk

Advanced search

Umbilical hernia repair

(5 Posts)
maxxymoment Sat 13-May-17 11:48:11

My 4 month old kitten had a small umbilical hernia which was repaired this week at the same time he was neutered. He has been fine since, has tolerated his cone collar amazing well and didn't appear in any discomfort. I gave him the analgesia he was given the following day but haven't bothered since because he has been running, jumping and rolling around play fighting with our 18month old rescue boy cat. He hasn't tried to mess with the wound but wouldn't have been able to get to it anyway due to the cone collar. The collar came off for the first time last night and I didn't bother to put it back on because he wasn't bothered by the wound. His abdomen is quite swollen specific to the repair but there no external signs of infection.
I've just been back to the vets for a check up and I feel like I have just been told off. The collar needs to go back on, I need to keep up with the analgesia and keep him as quiet as possible. They are concerned about the swelling and want to see him again on Monday. I'm worried that the op has failed and will need to be done again and that they feel I have mismanaged his recovery.
Any advice?

isadorable Sat 13-May-17 13:59:38

Well, you are here now. Best advice is to do what you're told and hopefully things will settle down or at worst he may need more treatment. Cats dont show they're in pain until it is very serious and kittens are fragile when tiny but at four months they're usually quite robust. It is so hard to get them to wear a cone so you are lucky he decided to keep it on for a few days. Is he tolerating it now? Can you keep him separate from the older one over the weekend? Rough and tumble play is not going to help things. Now, can we have a photo of him? It is the law here! Let us know how you get on. Dont beat yourself up.

maxxymoment Sat 13-May-17 14:58:54

Thank you. I wasn't aware that they only show discomfort when things are quite bad otherwise I would have offered more analgesia. I didn't see the need if he wasn't in pain. Perhaps they should have explained things better.
Hopefully there is a picture attached.

isadorable Sat 13-May-17 16:31:29

Isn't he gorgeous? What's his name? Does he seem calmer on the meds? As I say, don't beat yourself up. My ancient cat - 18 - had an umbilical hernia and it hasn't been a problem long term. This is a good advice resource: icatcare.org/advice

Let us know how he gets on on Monday.

Toddlerteaplease Sat 13-May-17 18:04:58

What a beautiful cat. Don't beat yourself up. You know him best and are the best if judge of if he's in pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now