Talk

Advanced search

DCat appears to have creosoted herself

(15 Posts)
M0stlyBowlingHedgehog Fri 12-May-17 21:15:25

Presumably squeezed under a neighbour's fence while it was wet.

What do I do now? Should I try to bath her, and if so, how?

She seems unfazed by the experience but her fur is all stiff spikes.

HelsinkiLights Fri 12-May-17 21:18:35

Oh dear......
This happened to DSis's cat.
Cat was put in the bath held by DSis & showered by DBil.
DSis's arms scratched to smithereens but one clean cat.

kalinkafoxtrot45 Fri 12-May-17 21:20:57

Creosote isn't good for cats - don't let her wash herself. Also turps etc are dangerous to cats.

RandomMess Fri 12-May-17 21:22:10

Yeah it's poison please take her to the vets asap as she may have ingested some sad

kalinkafoxtrot45 Fri 12-May-17 21:24:45

I read that alternating washing up liquid and white vinegar washes can do the trick.

DumbledoresApprentice Fri 12-May-17 21:27:27

I would try and wash it off. In my experience cats will tolerate being showered much better than being bathed. I wouldn't try to put her into a bath filled with water unless she's exceptionally docile.

DumbledoresApprentice Fri 12-May-17 21:29:06

I used dish soap to wash mine when she got up the chimney.

RandomMess Fri 12-May-17 22:01:10

Ours just bellow very loudly and pitifully but I think they are the exception tbh!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 12-May-17 22:02:42

i'd cut off as much as possible...washing might just spread it further?

M0stlyBowlingHedgehog Fri 12-May-17 22:06:52

We now have a very cross, very wet, slightly soapy cat, but I think I've got the worst of it out (cut some of the worst patches off with scissors).

Wolfiefan Fri 12-May-17 22:09:23

Can you call the vet for advice? I would worry that if the cat grooms the rest off then you could end up with a very poorly puss.

M0stlyBowlingHedgehog Fri 12-May-17 22:10:18

I don't think it was creosote - it had a most peculiar smell - almost like shit! Weird.

M0stlyBowlingHedgehog Fri 12-May-17 22:19:40

Just spoke to the duty vet - clipping the worst of it off her back was the right thing, suggested drying her to stop her licking it, then wait to see if there are any symptoms - vomiting or diarrhea.

YetAnotherSpartacus Sat 13-May-17 15:21:22

I do hope she is well and happy after her ordeal was I the only one who thought this was going to be about a cat who ate too much, ending in a scene with just one more biscuit?

M0stlyBowlingHedgehog Sat 13-May-17 15:36:12

Henceforth she shall be Madamoiselle Creosote, YetAnother - just a waffer thin cat treat...

She is completely fine - eating, prowling round the garden in search of mice and more newly-treated fences.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now