Talk

Advanced search

Toileting outside

(5 Posts)
Ski37 Fri 12-May-17 20:16:56

I've had my rescue cat for almost 6 weeks (see the thread My New Cat) and I've recently started letting him go outside when I'm around. This morning I noticed him scratching in some bark by the flower beds then, as predicted he was about to, he did a poo and covered it up. I removed it. This evening he was outside again and I happened to go out to see where he was only to see him squatting in the same place- as soon as he realised I'd seen him he ran off without doing anything. Is this now his preferred toilet? He's been 100% with the litter tray until now and to be honest it's less hassle to clean his tray (and the eye wateringly expensive litter that I've just bought an enormous bag of) than it is to go rooting around in the bark to clear it up. Also I don't really want him to start doing it in the neighbours gardens. On the other hand I've heard cats are very fussy about where they go and I'm now worried I have traumatised him by interrupting him. There will be some days when he won't be outside until the evening until I get in from work. Please reassure me that he will still use the litter tray if he needs to whilst he is inside and not make himself ill by 'holding it in'.

Ski37 Fri 12-May-17 20:17:38

I've just re-read my thread and realised it sounds ridiculous to worry about this but I've never had a cat before.....

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Fri 12-May-17 20:54:57

They can hold it in for a long time I know this because one of mine has been shut in a wardrobe all day and not done anything but chances are he'll carry on using the tray. However he probably will use the garden too, especially in summer. We keep a patch of freshly dug soil for ours to use to try and limit where they go.

Ski37 Fri 12-May-17 21:31:39

Thanks, that's what I was hoping with the litter tray. He's fastidious about burying it, no matter how deep I put the litter there is always a bare patch at the front! Unfortunately (for him) the place in the garden he had chosen is where I'm going to be getting a patio soon.... he'll have a shock then!

Oldraver Sat 13-May-17 21:55:23

From the time Ernie was allowed outside on his own he started doing his business outside. He tried a few places before he settled in front of the bamboo. He now has a patch that is very loose soil, occasionally he will go at the side of the house in another spot where we have loosened the soil.

I know we have been lucky with him...though he will occasionally christen any soil I have turned over

I think if you want him to go in a certain spot you can move the litter tray out there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now