Talk

Advanced search

How far will a cat go to protect its territory?

(10 Posts)
EachandEveryone Fri 12-May-17 09:45:43

Well my girls just unnerved me ever so slightly. I was just having a cuppa on my balcony come fire stairway and she goes out now not very far unless she's playing with the boy next door. She always follows me back in.

Well out of the corner of my eye I saw a ginger boy and she was off he was about three garages down and boy did she chase him until she was teetering at the end of a plank of wood I felt sick. He was below her and they just stared at each other. I managed to pretend I was going back into the flat and she came but now she's pacing up and down and shouting at me to go out. How far would she have gone do you think? God it's really unnerved me I was merrily letting her out into my new urban garden with cat friendly plants!

dailydance Fri 12-May-17 10:06:05

I used to flat share with a vet. It's not uncommon for cats to jump off a balcony to get to another cat or to hunt a fly etc. Either have a house cat with absolutely no access to the balcony or have a garden flat.

EachandEveryone Fri 12-May-17 10:19:17

Well I can't move and it is semi-garden it's not a high rise it's very unusual to see cats near us appart from the two next door. I just wondered if they mentally had parameters

DancingLedge Fri 12-May-17 10:23:27

Size of territory for a cat?
Varies.
Commonly several gardens, urban. Several fields,country.
Some will go 1/4 mile.

dailydance Fri 12-May-17 10:32:42

If it's not high rise then if your cat falls or jumps I presume you're comfortable that it won't injure itself which is good news. Yep, re territory.. they will ramble and defend it. How far they go and how much they will defend it will vary from cat to cat I'm afraid.

Want2beme Fri 12-May-17 14:55:47

One of my cats who goes outside, has a huge territory. She has my garden which is a fair size and the other gardens and fields. If she sees an interloper, she's off like a shot to sort him/her out.

EachandEveryone Fri 12-May-17 16:44:34

She's ultra friendly I'm verging on getting her a buddy but after today I'm not sure. She adores the two next door but we share a mutual hallway it's just a shame they go out at night and mines out in the day with me

Ev1lEdna Fri 12-May-17 17:03:02

My cat has a large territory. She is tiny and has been known to go after massive tom cats. She won't just chase them off her land, she goes the extra mile and chases them to give them a clout.

I guess it depends on the cat - mine is very invested in being outside and is a bit of a no nonsense cat.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 12-May-17 20:48:35

Down the stairs, through the kitchen, out the flap, down the garden, over the fence, down onto the Audi, accross the road & onto the grassed area.

If he can see it, he owns it.

EachandEveryone Fri 12-May-17 22:30:38

Aw he was a lovely boy as well maybe in future I'll have to have a quick scan before I let her follow me out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now