Talk

Advanced search

cat proofing and other new cat owner questions

(23 Posts)
dorothymichaels Fri 12-May-17 09:10:41

I have been carefully considering getting a cat for some time. I work a lot from home and find it very lonely. Plus I long for a pet that will show some affection. Pre-teen dd would really benefit too.

As I child I wanted pets but was always told 'too much bother' with a focus on all the negative aspects. A bind, bring in dead things, smell etc. etc. But I don't want my childhood to be such a big influence on our family. It's a very normal thing to have a cat!

I have my eye on a beautiful one year old tortie from the shelter (has been spayed). She was very interested in me from her cage and clearly wanted to play. Tomorrow we are visiting again for a chat with the welfare people and can hopefully play with her a bit so see how she interacts with us all. They said if all ok we could take her home.

So questions: If we do adopt her should I expect chaos? How much cat proofing will I need to do - do I need to clear away all clutter? Obviously nothing breakable left out or food she can steal? I am mostly at home but next week but will be away for two days so no one in house 8:30 to 6. Would it be ok if I asked a neighbour to check on her during the day and give her some attention?

p.s. Here's a picture of her trying to play...

dudsville Fri 12-May-17 09:14:07

She's beautiful! (I'm a dog person so of no help) Good luck!

Secretsquirrelclub Fri 12-May-17 09:28:32

She is beautiful, I am sure she would make a lovely family member.

Cats don't really break things, in my experience, but they can be little beggars with their claws. I adopted a rescue cat over 12 months ago and he's all but ruined the wallpaper in the spare room (it needed replacing anyway) and his favourite trick is to manoeuvre his way around my sofa with his claws. So you would need to provide at least one scratch post.

But that aside he is otherwise a lovely cat and I feel very honoured that he lets me live in his home.

Secretsquirrelclub Fri 12-May-17 09:39:51

Cats also don't tend to steal food, that's more something that a dog would do. Meats possibly, but veg, fruit ? No.

You might find that when you first take her home, it will take her a few weeks to settle and do she might just hide until she settles, so you will have to be patient with her. But they're all different, mine scoffed a full bowl of food, plonked himself on the sofa and kept looking at me giving me - do I know you looks ?

dorothymichaels Fri 12-May-17 09:55:11

I just rang the shelter and they gave her to someone else. Gutted!

DeleteOrDecay Fri 12-May-17 10:01:10

Oh no that's a shame. Did you ask if they had any other suitable cats you could take a look at?

We are in a similar position of wanting to get a cat so following with interest.

dorothymichaels Fri 12-May-17 10:01:57

They do. We will go and look at the weekend.

DeleteOrDecay Fri 12-May-17 10:05:06

Good luck, I hope you manage to find a good match!

Needingsomeadvice Sun 14-May-17 23:31:23

Any joy?

dorothymichaels Mon 15-May-17 06:58:37

I have to go away for a few days for work so going to look again when I get back and have a few weeks when I can be home to settle the cat in the house. I'm really looking forward to it!

Allergictoironing Mon 15-May-17 07:44:28

I think it depends very much on the individual cat. I could leave a plate of almost anything out and mine won't touch it, they aren't really into human food. One of the cats that owns my DSis is the opposite - he wants to try to eat anything & everything that you are eating, and I've had to forceably eject him from the room & close the door when I had sardines on toast there once as he was trying to steal it out of my hand!

Needingsomeadvice Mon 15-May-17 19:14:05

Definitely would recommend a friendly adult cat (or two that want to stay together). We got our first cat when we were both out of the house at similar times to you. The cat would use the catflap all day and have his adventures, then sit on our laps in the evenings. He did not mind this one bit.

dorothymichaels Tue 23-May-17 14:08:05

Well we adopted two sisters! Here they are. They have hidden for most of yesterday but are out now and had a play with me. They have both eaten and let me stroke them. I've even had purrs.
They are seven and have never been out so house cats really. Rescue lady said they had tried to go outside but froze. I have no plans to attempt them going out and fine if they don't but is all hope lost of them getting some fresh air in their lives do you think?

dorothymichaels Tue 23-May-17 14:08:32

Here's the other one.

FluffyWhiteTowels Tue 23-May-17 14:23:04

Once they're settled just the door open (if safe garden to venture into) and leave them to it. They either will or won't. Or may when you're out in th garden.

They look gorgeous. Enjoy 😊

Tigresswoods Tue 23-May-17 14:24:44

Do it!!! She's a Calico, we just adopted a 6y oldc& she has the wettest nature.

Tigresswoods Tue 23-May-17 14:25:10

Wettest- Sweetest.

What is with autocorrect!?

MsMims Tue 23-May-17 14:28:52

They're gorgeous smile

Lots of ways to get fresh air into them without them free roaming with all the risks and worries that entails. A cat pen coming off a window/ catio/ cat proofing your garden/ an enclosure they can be carried out to would all work well.

dorothymichaels Tue 23-May-17 14:41:10

Ooh I like the cat pen off a window idea. That would be nice for them...
I had to pull the lighter grey one out of the chimney yesterday so have since blocked it with a pillow! They do seem very sweet natured. Really lovely cats. I've never had a cat before so it's very exciting for me!

Allergictoironing Tue 23-May-17 19:49:56

My cats are indoors only, so I have Flat Cats screens in some of the windows. That way I can get a breeze through the rooms, and they can sit by the window without getting out & enjoy the fresh air that way.

Want2beme Tue 23-May-17 20:03:15

Very happy for you. They look adorable. Are they microchipped? If they do decide they want to venture out, it'd be a good idea. Have fun!

dorothymichaels Wed 24-May-17 14:07:17

I'll find out if they are chipped when I take them for a vet check, but I don't think so. I'll look into the flat cats screens!

ElizaDontlittle Wed 24-May-17 15:01:55

They are gorgeous. I hope you and DD enjoy them! They sound like they like your home already.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now