Talk

Advanced search

I have 3 rescue cats

(16 Posts)
Blushingm Thu 11-May-17 18:50:23

And I want them to go out side as I'm fed up of my house smelling like a litter tray. I've had them since kittens and don't want to scare them but I think it's time the explored

Also how do I fit a cat flap?

Thank you!

dementedpixie Thu 11-May-17 20:35:05

Have they ever been outside? Or do you mean you want then to do the toilet outside? My two started by going outside in the back garden for short periods with supervision (started at 4 months roughly). They can now climb the fence and go exploring for up to 30 minutes but still come back home to use the litter tray. They are 6 months old now. We don't have a cat flap as there isn't a suitable door for it to go in

Blushingm Thu 11-May-17 21:24:48

They've never been outside. The younger 2 were a neglect case so we're tiny when I got them and I wanted to wait til they were neutered and well recovered before they went out. The older one is very timid - I was hoping he'd follow the younger 2's lead as they are very inquisitive

Want2beme Thu 11-May-17 22:53:34

Change the litter trays each time they're used. You don't have to put much litter in the tray, just enough for them to scratch around in. I put a sheet of newspaper down first, so that the litter doesn't get stuck to the tray. If you're out all day, just change them as soon as you get home.

I have a very nervous cat who cannot go out alone as she would get spooked & goodness knows where she'd end up.

EachandEveryone Fri 12-May-17 03:18:14

Change the type of litter? Keep your windows open all the time. Do you havena garden?

dementedpixie Fri 12-May-17 07:50:53

Short supervised garden visits (if you have a garden) would be good to start with. I just opened the patio doors and let them go in and out when they wanted. When they come back in and the door gets shut then they get a treat (they like small pieces of roast chicken, dreamies and those webbox sticks)

Blushingm Fri 12-May-17 08:34:19

Yes we have a garden

Poo is scooped pretty much straight away - it's the wee smell that seems to linger. Which litter is best do people think - I use felight anti bacterial stuff at the moment

EachandEveryone Fri 12-May-17 08:39:08

I really like the first one or the second one. My friend has four cats and swears by Worlds Best clumping. How many trays have u got?

dementedpixie Fri 12-May-17 09:08:00

I use super benek corn cat litter. It clumps so pee can be scooped out too. I mix it with a couple of other clumping litters to make it last longer.

dementedpixie Fri 12-May-17 09:09:22

www.bitiba.co.uk/shop/cats_accessories/cat_litter/super_benek/super_benek/494737

Blushingm Fri 12-May-17 09:15:27

I've got one really big one

LadyPenelopeCantDance Fri 12-May-17 09:20:17

We use wooden litter from the supermarkets own brand, usually Tesco. There isn't any odour at all so perhaps look at a new litter?

EachandEveryone Fri 12-May-17 09:51:26

And I'd get another couple of cheap trays as well I've got two and she uses both in different parts of the flat

dementedpixie Fri 12-May-17 10:20:25

I've got one extra large one too as when I had 2 they both used the same one anyway. Clumping litter prevents pee smells from lingering as you remove pee and poo

Blushingm Fri 12-May-17 22:12:22

Thank you! I'll get the clumping stuff - see if it helps

EachandEveryone Sat 13-May-17 00:53:38

My friend swears by Worlds best

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now