Talk

Advanced search

Will a vet spay a cat if...

(17 Posts)
Coverup890 Fri 28-Apr-17 22:58:57

Theres a chance shes already pregnant? Thats it really.

thecatneuterer Fri 28-Apr-17 23:06:22

I think if it's not absolutely sure she's pregnant from looking at her then all will. If she's very obviously pregnant most will but some are funny about it. If you have a problem with one, just ring round and you will find one who will.

If you happen to be in London please pm me.

Ruhrpott Fri 28-Apr-17 23:22:09

Can I jump on this thread and ask when can we have our kitten neutered? She is now 10 was old and we haven't had a kitten since 2003! We did take an old adult cat from the rescue too, not just the kitten, but she is already neutered. We are picking both of them up next Sunday.

hashtagcurious Fri 28-Apr-17 23:27:23

If you already know she's pregnant then I don't know but I do know if they operate and find that she's pregnant then they should contact you and will need your ok to go-ahead. Xx

Atenco Fri 28-Apr-17 23:39:12

My vet did, no problem. I had a pregnant cat when leucemia was diagnosed in a kitten I had picked up the street and had had living with us for a couple of weeks. I did not want to be giving away sick kittens.

Checklist Fri 28-Apr-17 23:41:43

Our vet did, after our young female spent all bank holiday weekend at it with her brother!

WetsTheFinger Fri 28-Apr-17 23:47:01

Yes we will. It is for the best to abort unwanted kittens, there are so many already.

thecatneuterer Sat 29-Apr-17 00:00:18

Ruhrport Four months is the best time to spay. Certainly no later than five.

WatcherOfTheNight Sat 29-Apr-17 00:57:59

TheCatneuterer i adopted 2 kittens from Cp in March,on the forms it says spay at 4 months but our vet has said no.
They've said they'll do it between 5&6 months.
Could this be because of their size? They were very small & thought to be around 8/9 weeks when we picked them up but our vet told us this week she thinks they are still only between 10&12 weeks,not the 15/16 weeks that their paperwork has them at.

I am keeping them in obviously but one is hanging around the windows & doors already!

thecatneuterer Sat 29-Apr-17 01:16:34

watcher. I doubt it's to do with size. We neuter anything over 1 kg. 'Old' advice used to be 5 to 6 months. New (last few years or so) best practice protocol is 4 months.

However if your vet genuinely thinks they are much younger than their paperwork says, and is happy to do them when they believe they are four months, then that is fair enough. However if they say that five to six months is the recommended age generally then I would look for a different vet.

That has come out garbled, but it's late and I hope you know what I mean.

thecatneuterer Sat 29-Apr-17 01:18:07

In fact I would just take them somewhere else anyway. Get them done as soon as you can.

WatcherOfTheNight Sat 29-Apr-17 01:21:43

I do,thanks TCN
They are now both over 1kg.
There has been a lot of confusion with them due to the circumstances,I think I'll ring the vet & ask if they can be done sooner,I don't want to take any chances!

WatcherOfTheNight Sat 29-Apr-17 01:22:50

Xpost,will have a ring around,thanks smile

Coverup890 Sat 29-Apr-17 07:44:11

Thanks everyone! We got an uneutered 8month old cat we want to get her done but her stomach seems to be getting bigger and feels hard. We would rather not have kittebs if we dont have to but would obviously look after them if we do. Thanks for the advice!

sashh Sat 29-Apr-17 08:31:38

When depends on the vet, there is one in Wales who will do it from 2 weeks.

When I took mine the vet asked me about if she was pregnant (she was a stray about 1 year) should he continue with the op.

Magnoliafive Sat 29-Apr-17 08:43:59

I adopted a pregnant cat and had her spayed (quite recently, an elderly relative had died and the cat had unfortunately not been spayed and managed to get outdoors quite a lot in the weeks before the death).

She died about 4 hours after the operation - obviously we were devastated and the vet was upset too. Apparently she had been quite far on, almost due but the surgery had been uneventful apart from the anaesthetic needing topped up. There were no signs of post op bleeding according to the vet and the cat had initially come round after the op, and was trying to bite her stitches so needed a collar. I still don't know why she died but the vet thought it may have been something genetic or a late reaction to the anaesthetic. She had passed urine ok but had vomited.

I realise this may be quite rare but in hindsight I wish I hadn't done it, and just kept the kittens and had them all neutered when the time was right. I'll never know if it was due to the pregnancy or if it would have happened anyway.

thecatneuterer Sat 29-Apr-17 09:51:37

You need to do it straight away then. Some vets will (unfortunately) refuse as I found myself when I tried to help someone find a vet to neuter a pregnant stray in another part of the country, but plenty will understand that it is the lesser of two evils. You just need to ask their policy when booking her in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now