Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do cats eat less in the spring/ summer

(8 Posts)
Toddlerteaplease Fri 28-Apr-17 18:01:40

Noticed that my gruesome twosome are not eating as much during the day than they did a few weeks ago. They are both well and I'm taking the same amount out of the litter tray every day. I've seen them both eating so it's not one eating it all and one not eating at all. Is this normal?

SanFranBear Fri 28-Apr-17 19:53:54

Mine is a greedy guts so I have to ration his food (to the recommended amount, I don't starve him grin) but he still loses weight over the summer months as he actually spends time outside. He doesn't move far from the bedroom in winter.

I know that in warmer weather, my appetite goes down and I eat less... in winter, stodge rules to keep me toasty. Perhaps your two are just better at regulating their intake and are naturally just eating less. I guess if they start looking slimmer or you can feel their ribs more, it might be worth a check up but as it's also both of them, sounds like a natural phenomenon to me smile

GinAndTalented Fri 28-Apr-17 19:56:24

Mine is eating less but bringing me more tribute. So I'm guessing eating the poor shrews and mice instead.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 28-Apr-17 20:17:01

They are both a bit thinner but they recently had to have wet food as one of the dislocated her jaw and they both barely ate it. If I give them a pouch now as a rest they guzzle it down. They both do need to loose 500g as apparently one of them is very fat despite being only 4.9 kg.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 28-Apr-17 20:28:51

Some days less, some more.

One day he ate 6 pouches & literally collapsed into his basket.

Weedsnseeds1 Fri 28-Apr-17 22:41:57

I think mine eats less official food, but more acquired food as the hunting is better this time of year. He's probably getting more exercise too. He looks a bit thinner, but could be jettisoning floof ( judging by my carpet). He still outweighs yours by a couple of kilos though. When he had his boosters done, I plonked him on the scales. The vet looked horrified "that's a lot for a cat". Appraising look. " He's huge though".

Toddlerteaplease Fri 28-Apr-17 22:54:09

Mine are definitely de floofing. Snorg's notes from the emergency vet make constant reference to how fat she is and how she has no neck. She was very offended.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 28-Apr-17 22:56:45

She's started eating titbits for the first time ever. She had three bits of rump steak yesterday and some chicken today. I didn't think she liked chicken. I now get this when I'm eating!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now