Talk

Advanced search

Choosing a cattery

(10 Posts)
TheGirlOnTheLanding Wed 26-Apr-17 21:31:26

BiteyCat needs to go into a cattery while we're on our summer holidays. We are over the first hurdle, finding one that had space for the week we need, and now I need advice on what I should be looking for when I visit, other than cleanliness and people who seem to have a nice way with cars. I've never used a cattery before, I've always had family or neighbours willing to be catsitters and I feel a bit like I did when I started looking at nurseries for the DC... I am also unsure what to do about food - we feed him wet after our previous cat had awful cystitis which the vet said was an issue with male cats on dry food, but the cattery feed dry. Should we send him in with his own food or get him used to dry before he goes? He's not a fussy boy, having been a stray and then in a rescue before he came to us, and does love a Dreamie so I'm sure he would adapt if we started now.

Vinorosso74 Wed 26-Apr-17 21:40:00

Catteries tend to offer one type of food as it's easier for them. However, if you're providing the food for your cat a decent cattery should oblige.
I feel sorry for the staff where our cat goes as most are senior kitizens so special diets and medication galore!

Watto1 Wed 26-Apr-17 21:44:13

I agree that any decent cattery should feed your cat his own food. When I looked at the cattery I use, I knew immediately that it was a good one. The owner showed me around, saying hello to all of his 'guests' as we went along and introducing me to them! Your gut feeling will tell you all you need to know.

Sparklingbrook Wed 26-Apr-17 21:49:44

I agree with gut feeling. I dropped into ours unannounced and they were very happy to show me around and all the residents looked very happy. The cattery owners knew the backgrounds of all of them. If you say yes they post pictures on FB of your cat enjoying their holiday. grin

My parents use the same cattery and send their cat with her own food and they get a discount because of this.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Wed 26-Apr-17 22:35:08

Thanks, everyone. Yes, gut feeling seems the way to go (just like choosing a nursery then!) They seem nice on the phone (asked when I was coming to visit to see where he is going on his holidays) so hopefully I'll feel reassured once I've met them in person. I hope he behaves himself!

EachandEveryone Wed 26-Apr-17 23:06:23

Mine has loads of different foods just not mine so I supply it. They feed them wet and dry. The staff are all ex vet nurses. It's a lovely place and she seems to enjoy herself there. It's on a farm and I don't choose the luxury option with the telly the owner tells me they are better off outside which shows she's not after my money (I think)

Toddlerteaplease Thu 27-Apr-17 14:45:39

I'm putting my two in one for the first time. Not seen it yet but the photos look lovely and it's run by a vet. I was impressed because they had their particular food in stock and it's not a common one. And they post pictures as well.

SweetChickadee Thu 27-Apr-17 14:49:57

I agree with gut feeling. The lady who runs ours is a proper crazy cat lady, she's lovely.

They get daily report cards for their stay, noting eating and drinking habits, mood and exercise (or lack of in one of ours) and she posts her 'guests' on the cattery's FB page grin

Ours asks that we provide the food, to avoid upset tums.

EachandEveryone Thu 27-Apr-17 20:42:36

I've just booked mine in for two nights as my bedrooms getting decorated so she's off on Wednesday morning. I feel so much better taking her there rather than having to lock her up in the kitchen

msrisotto Thu 27-Apr-17 20:45:00

Have a quick google and see if there are cat sitting services around. Just saying because I went to look around catteries and they were more expensive and unpleasant and inconvenient too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now