Talk

Advanced search

hypoallergenic cats that don't cost a fortune?

(6 Posts)
bigbuttons Wed 26-Apr-17 17:10:53

I have a complicated situation:
My ex has persuaded my 2 eldest children, now 17 and 18 that they are allergic to cats. My ex hates cats. These dc choose to stay living with their dad when we split.
We lived in a rented house when I left where next door's cat half lived with us and half with his owners. The 4 children living with me adored the cat and he bought us much comfort and pleasure. My eldest dc showed no signs of allergy for the first 3 years we were there. They both suddenly decided they were allergic.
We have since moved house. Both boys said they would visit me and their sibs if we didn't have a cat. I don't have one now but of course they still don't visit because they are at uni/out with mates.
The children in this house and I feel bereft and peed off that we have no animal.
As a compromise I am looking into hypoallergenic cats breeds.I do understand that in reality there is no such thing, but that certain breeds have coats which produce less dander and require less grooming so reducing the likelihood of a reaction.

I was wondering if there are any other cat lovers out there that have managed to overcome this issue buy getting a certain breed of cat?

I have looked it up online but these cats cost £££££££££!

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

MOIST Wed 26-Apr-17 17:22:24

Just get an ordinary night and tell them it's a hypoallergenic beeed. They'll never know.

MOIST Wed 26-Apr-17 17:27:37

Moggie. Not night

bigbuttons Wed 26-Apr-17 17:47:36

That's what my mum said!

The shared cat was constantly grooming, I mean endlessly. I've never know a cat like it.

bigbuttons Wed 26-Apr-17 21:19:04

Bumping!

isseywithcats Wed 26-Apr-17 21:54:40

its not the cat fur that people are allergic to there is an enzyme in cat saliva that causes a reaction in allergic people, and being as cats lick themselves clean obviously they are covered in saliva, even if you got one of those sphynx cats who are hairless, if the cat has this particular enzyme anyone allergic will still be allergic, and funnily enough i have two cats with thick or long fur and one with short fur and the one i react to is the short furred one, and ive had since she was a kitten and shes now nearly 12

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now