Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I think I've decided to become a fosterer!

(9 Posts)
ElizaDontlittle Wed 26-Apr-17 16:07:35

I've been thinking about this for a while. A few things have come together - I have started letting crazycat outside and she absolutely loves it. But I spend much less time with her. However we tried her with another cat, did all the scent swapping... disaster. Though she be but little, she is fierce!! I have seriously considered giving it another go, possibly with two cats, but I have never felt it would be right.

I separated from my husband late last year. I'm starting to find some things to do which are "mine", and move my life on. And I think this could be one of them - I've got a spare room that could be the cats' room, I work part time for health reasons so spend quite a lot of time at home.

Is it a terrible idea - and anything additional I should consider?

ineedamoreadultieradult Wed 26-Apr-17 16:09:09

So are you going to confine the fostered cats to the cat room?

thecatneuterer Wed 26-Apr-17 16:38:57

Great idea. And of course it's generally for a maximum of ten weeks at a time (until the kittens are old enough to be homed), so you're not committing yourself forever and can really see how it goes the first time before deciding to do it again.

Wolfiefan Wed 26-Apr-17 16:41:25

Not a terrible idea at all. But I would budget for the one you can't let go and feisty cat loves too!!
Go for it OP. We got two rescued kittens from a foster home. I swear they settled better and are much nicer cats as a result of the amazing fosterer who took them in. So they will have a happier life because of her.

ineedamoreadultieradult Wed 26-Apr-17 16:55:17

Foster cats are not necessarily going to be the best cats to try and integrate with feisty cat. They may be very young, old, ill, grumpy, scared etc so will need a nice calm house not one where they need to contend with a feisty resident cat.

thecatneuterer Wed 26-Apr-17 17:25:57

But ineed the idea of fostering mum and kittens is that they remain separate from the rest of the house in a spare room, so it should be fine.

ineedamoreadultieradult Wed 26-Apr-17 17:54:02

Sorry didnt see the bit where she was going to stick to mum and kittens. Also depends how feisty 'feisty' is as Ive had a few fiesty cats that would have torn the door down to get at squeaking kittens behind a door in 'their' house.

ElizaDontlittle Wed 26-Apr-17 18:25:01

I think they suggest that foster cats - adults or kittens - are always kept separate. That's what I've been told anyway. Feisty cat is my affectionate companion - but she doesn't like either next door's cat or the cat I tried to have here before. She can't open doors though. I think I'd be pretty cautious however. Like tcn says, I'll give it a try, and see if it works for us. She got here first so I am trying to do the best thing for her.

isseywithcats Wed 26-Apr-17 19:41:16

the best thing to do is contact your local cat rescue and talk to them explain your set up and see what they say, our rescue has lots of fosterers and we all do different types of fosters, some have pregnant cats, some have moms with kittens already born, some do hand rearing tiny orphans, some do feral kittens , (me) some of my fosters have been kittens handed into vets in boxes at around six weeks , some do long term older cats who are terminal to give them a few months at home instead of in a pen , rescue should match a foster with your set up and experience , good luck if you do its very rewarding xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now