Talk

Advanced search

My cat doesn't drink...

(51 Posts)
FirstSeemItThenBeIt Tue 25-Apr-17 16:04:26

I've just got my first cat. He's eating ok, but as far as I can tell hasn't had anything to drink since Saturday.

There's always water out, but I've never seen any sign of him having a drink. I tried milk today, which he had a little bit of.

I'm not sure what's normal. Should he be drinking more? Enough for me to be able to see that the water in his bowl is lower?

Bringmesunshite Tue 25-Apr-17 16:13:29

Not milk unless it is "cat milk". Does he have dry or wet food?
I had a cat that never really learned how to lap water although her sibling could.
Believe it or not she was able to manage water from a vertical water bottle for rabbits or hamsters.
Speak to your vet.

Bringmesunshite Tue 25-Apr-17 16:15:10

Also, put the water bowl away from the food bowl. We have the food downstairs and the water bowl in the bathroom with our current overlord. There's some thing about them not liking water near food in case it becomes contaminated.

dementedpixie Tue 25-Apr-17 16:20:44

Cats don't tend to drink a lot. If they have wet food they get a lot of moisture from that. What food are they eating?

FannyWisdom Tue 25-Apr-17 16:20:57

I have one that only drinks out of a moderate running tap.
The other is a filthy creature and will ignore any clean water.
Drinks only manky outdoor water or peach squash.

dementedpixie Tue 25-Apr-17 16:22:04

And don't give milk unless it's for cats. They ate lactose intolerant so cows milk can give them the runs. I've never given any sort of milk to my two

dementedpixie Tue 25-Apr-17 16:22:14

Are*

dementedpixie Tue 25-Apr-17 16:22:53

Yeah mine drink from the manky green pond too!

LemonRedwood Tue 25-Apr-17 16:25:31

Second the suggestion from Bringmesunshite

I had a cat who was on a prescription pain in the arse dry food only diet and refused to drink. Moving the water bowl around the corner so it wasn't near the food solved the problem.

Palomb Tue 25-Apr-17 16:27:30

I don't even put water down for mine now as they ignore it and drink from the pond!

Thatextrainch Tue 25-Apr-17 16:30:20

I'm the same as Palomb, my cat eats wet food and doesn't drink the water I put out for him. He prefers a puddle/pond/bird table. He's 7 and still alive. I put water out when it's really hot as I feel obliged but he still doesn't drink it. I read once that cats don't sweat so their requirements for water is quite low (not sure if true)

NewStateswoman Tue 25-Apr-17 16:35:09

Ah ok. He has plenty of wet food but I'll move the water bowl away from the food too.

Thank you!

Fiona1984 Tue 25-Apr-17 16:42:43

My male cat prefers to drink water from the tap, or from a cup if i leave it in the sink and it fills up with water. He also tries to drink the bath water. I only let him do that if I've not put bubbles in yet though

shitgibbon Tue 25-Apr-17 16:50:47

Leave a tap slowly running or dripping. If you notice him drinking from that a lot then buy him a cat fountain. Some cats prefer to drink flowing water. Mine do.

ThouShallNotPass Tue 25-Apr-17 16:52:37

Cats are strange creatures human owners aren't they? Our current master never seems to touch her water bowl or sinks or anything. Ever. She must be getting hydration somewhere because she's almost 3 and not dead yet. It's odd.
Oh and I also want to reiterate that cows milk will cause bowel problems. Whiskers do a nice cat milk.

heymammy Tue 25-Apr-17 16:55:39

Fill a pint glass with water and leave it in a corner somewhere that dcat has to walk past. It will work.

As an aside, my outdoor cats can often be found lapping manky leafy water from plant pots, dc's buckets left outside, puddles etc etc

Eatingcheeseontoast Tue 25-Apr-17 16:56:48

One of mine would only drink out of taps. The other one I have never seen drinking. He's 9 and fine and eats wet food. Vet said that's probably his normal and only worry if that changes.

You are supposed to leave water somewhere different from food.

Toddlerteaplease Tue 25-Apr-17 16:56:52

Try putting a cup down. My two are both good drinkers but drink more out of their cup.

Orangebird69 Tue 25-Apr-17 16:59:38

What type of bowl is his water in? Some cats don't like the taint that plastic bowls leave it the water. Also, lactose free milk is ok for cats. But don't panic too much if his diet is mainly wet food - they get a lot of their water intake from that.

NerdyBird Tue 25-Apr-17 17:01:46

ours doesn't drink much. we tried moving the water but that didn't seem to make much difference. We now give her the 'soup' style of cat food and we think she's getting a decent amount of liquid from that.

WeeCheekyBird Tue 25-Apr-17 17:09:05

I have very seldom seen my cat drink anything in the 4 years I have had him. He shares a water bowl with the dog (he wouldn't use his own) and I have caught him drinking from the tap/toilet/all sorts of places.

Cats are strange creatures. He could be drinking fine and you might just not notice. As long as the cat is well I wouldn't really worry.

claraschu Tue 25-Apr-17 17:12:43

When I moved our cats' water away from their food thy started drinking all the time. Mum cat's favourite drink is out of the bath while I am in it; I get 3 of her paws on my knees smile. My husband says she is "having a pint".

Orangebird69 Tue 25-Apr-17 17:25:32

My cats rarely drink out of their bowls. It would seem though that any glass that I am using is fair game hmm

KonKatenate Tue 25-Apr-17 17:34:37

Definitely second (third?) moving water bowl away from food. None of ours have ever drunk water from a cat bowl until we did this even when filled with mineral or filtered water (puddles? oh yes, a different story). Also a tumbler or cup of water left accessible will almost certainly be used - the number of times I've woken in the night to hear one of Koncats lapping from my water glass ...

millifiori Tue 25-Apr-17 17:37:17

Our cat got hospitalised with dehydration, so we got him a water fountain and switched him from dry food to wet. He's been fine since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now