Talk

Advanced search

Lilies AIBU

(12 Posts)
Toddlerteaplease Tue 25-Apr-17 12:21:43

My best friend, (who is a late vocation to cat parenting) but utterly converted. Often had a vase with lillies in his hall table. Level with the stairs and in very easy reach of his two cats. He won't move them as he insists they don't go near them. But it still worries me that they will come into contact with them as most cat's I know like flowers. I've told them they can be fatal but he still won't move them. Not sure what else to do to convince him to move them.

lessworriedaboutthecat Tue 25-Apr-17 12:26:28

You are definitely not being unreasonable. Lilies are poisonous to cats as responsible owner he shouldn't have them in the same house as his cats now you've pointed it out.

Teddy6767 Tue 25-Apr-17 12:30:57

YANBU. My mum's cat died from kidney failure after eating some lillies that were in a vase in the house

RedDahlia Tue 25-Apr-17 12:49:37

My 3 cats got hold of some lillies. Naturally this was on a Sunday. They came home from the vets on the Tuesday after being pumped full of fluids to clear their system and having extensive blood work done. They were fine in the end but there was a real possible chance one, if not all could die from the poison. It was fucking horrible knowing that if I'd been more careful it wouldn't have happened (I had no idea lillies were so bad).

Tell him he's being a daft prick, oh and that it set me back over a grand!

Vinorosso74 Tue 25-Apr-17 13:21:11

Both icatcare and Cats Protection websites have info on how toxic they are to cats. Send him the links to them.
I think the message is gradually getting out there. Our vets have a poster up about it, animal charities do but I wish it was clearly indicated on flowers in shops or when people order online.

Toddlerteaplease Tue 25-Apr-17 13:38:15

I think telling him he's a daft prick won't go down to well. But i'll send the links. He adores his cats but can be very stubborn!

Toddlerteaplease Tue 25-Apr-17 13:43:54

Why would you even take the risk. Silly man.

KanyeWesticle Tue 25-Apr-17 14:04:48

I think it's the pollen that they ingest from their fur.

My mother likes to bring mixed flowers, and she'd be offended If I threw them away while she was here. So I cut the stamens off (and then bin them as soon as she leaves!)

If he has to have lollies, would he remove the pollen?

KanyeWesticle Tue 25-Apr-17 14:04:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YetAnotherSpartacus Tue 25-Apr-17 15:03:40

Gosh yes, they don't even have to eat them - simply brushing against them and wasking themselves can do them in sad

Weedsnseeds1 Tue 25-Apr-17 19:38:34

Tulips and daffodils aren't great either.
Buy him a big bunch of roses or something next time you see him!

thecatneuterer Tue 25-Apr-17 19:38:53

Yes. Just walking through pollen that's fallen on the ground will do it. Why would you take the risk!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now