Talk

Advanced search

House move with skittish old rescue mog

(5 Posts)
Swearwolf Mon 24-Apr-17 08:24:39

My lovely cat is somewhere around 10 years old, a (previously abused) rescue cat, and although much improved after 5 years with us, she is still incredibly nervous around other people. She won't go out and has been a house cat her whole life, by her own choice since we've had her.

We're moving house next month and I just don't know what to do. She had an operation a year ago and as she's quite trusting the first couple of times it was quite easy getting her into the basket, but by the end she put up such a fight we had to get the vet to come out. It was horrible, she really fought and screamed and weed everywhere. I don't want to put her through that again but we have to get her out before the movers come in.

My vague plan was to move her over to the new place the morning before the movers arrive and set her up in the spare room with her food and litter tray and something to sleep on - we don't have a spare room at the moment so nothing from here will be going in there, so I can tell the movers to avoid.

It's further complicated by how crammed we are in here - our current place is tiny (thanks 2008 market crash) and we have small children, so there is stuff everywhere. If she wants to hide, she will be able to do a good job. She loves to sit under the bed, which has boxes underneath and vacuum bags of clothes etc. So do we clear out all those areas in advance or would that just freak her out?

I need a plan! And reassurance!

Patienceisvirtuous Mon 24-Apr-17 08:31:32

Feliway. Leading up to move then once she's in new place.

Good idea to set her up in a room for a little while once you've moved - that's what we did.

Do you have a carrier that opens from the top too? Much easier...

Lots of treats, love and reassurance throughout the move.

shelleyhart Mon 24-Apr-17 09:42:50

Keep her carrier out, and try to put treats in the carrier. try to even feed her dinner in there. so that she associates the carrier with good things. Let her go in it in her own time though

LivingInMidnight Mon 24-Apr-17 13:20:06

Zylkene worked well with my incredibly nervous cat when there was a couple of difficult days for her. Wouldn't want to use it all the time, but she was much more chilled out. Still nervous but not completely terrified, which is what I was worried about.

DumbledoresApprentice Mon 24-Apr-17 17:17:40

Keep the carrier out. My cat's carrier is her bed. I have it out with the door off and a blanket inside at all times. When we first got her she hated the carrier and the car (she meowed, soiled herself and urinated on the way home from the shelter and panted a lot) but she now travels pretty well. We took her on holiday with us at Easter with a 3.5 hour car journey each way. She meowed a bit on the way home but slept for most of the journey and there were no toilet accidents. We've also done a couple of short car journeys where she just got driven around a bit and bought home so that she doesn't only associate the car and carrier with the vet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now