Talk

Advanced search

Cats in bed

(22 Posts)
bobdylannumber1 Sun 23-Apr-17 10:29:34

Hi I have 2 cats about 9 months now lovely friendly, kids 6 and 9 love them and when they are going up to bed the cats head up too female cat always goes to DD 6 bed lies on bed all night the tom cat goes to my DS 9 bed but doesn't mind if he doesn't, female cat goes mad if isn't up there I'm just wondering if it's ok to allow this, they have had flea dose and all but I did notice a bit of chewed up young rat in the garden? I'd be worried about the kids picking up something.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 23-Apr-17 10:37:59

I can't think of any problems. I slept with cats on my bed from 8yo.

Vinorosso74 Sun 23-Apr-17 11:38:26

Keep on top of flea and worming treatments and all should be fine. I like having our cat on the bed with us.

Hulder Sun 23-Apr-17 11:41:05

Cats in bed is one of the loveliest things about having cats.

plus if you don't let them you have to shut them out of the bedroom and they spend all night scratching the door, digging up the carpet and howling

Toddlerteaplease Sun 23-Apr-17 12:16:07

Cats in bed is one of the loveliest things about having cats.

*plus if you don't let them you have to shut them out of the bedroom and they spend all night scratching the door, digging up the carpet and howling.*

Ha ha so true. A cat purring next to you is one of the most relaxing sounds there is. Parking themselves on your head at 3 am is not!

MycatsaPirate Sun 23-Apr-17 12:22:02

Oh it's fine! We have four cats, they sleep where they want and will wander between beds and sofas at night. DD2 has bunk beds, often there is a cat on each bed and two on ours.

Cockadoodledooo Sun 23-Apr-17 12:32:56

We have recently acquired a 3yo cat, he's not allowed on my bed because I'm actually allergic (though we're 3 weeks in and I think it's improving). He does however like to sleep on the kids' beds at night. I am a terrible parent because I never even considered that he shouldn't blush

Mind you, ds1 (13) has evicted him because he was playing with the light fitting (from high sleeper bed) at 3am and making a right racket by all accounts!

cozietoesie Sun 23-Apr-17 16:19:01

When I was given Firstcat, I went down and played with him for a good while and then went upstairs - with him in my arms - to say to my mother '.What do I do now?'. She raised her head from her pillow (it being GodAwful o'clock) and muttered 'Why don't you take him to bed?'

So I did - and he snuggled down with me and went to sleep. My training had begun. grin

bobdylannumber1 Mon 24-Apr-17 09:08:40

Thanks I'll continue letting them sleep with the kids then 😀

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Mon 24-Apr-17 09:10:49

We have 2 dd.
And 2 dcats.
1dd +1 dcat per bunk bed!!
Purrfect. .

YetAnotherSpartacus Mon 24-Apr-17 13:21:28

Just perfect ... How can that be perfect? Your bed appears to be catless.

TheFlyingFauxPas Mon 24-Apr-17 13:26:45

That lovely feeling as a cat 🐱 slinks its body into your bed with you ❤

Mermaidinthesea123 Wed 26-Apr-17 21:22:59

My son had all the cats on his bed from age 4, is 35 now and still has cats on the bed smile

HemanOrSheRa Wed 26-Apr-17 21:49:33

I settled Frankie in by putting him in DS's room. In a cat bed in DS's bed blushgrin. It was quiet and warm. DS was 10 and plenty old enough to know how to treat a young cat and was delighted to have the responsibility. Although, once Mr Knuckles found his feet and got lively at night DS was happy to give the care over to me smile.

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Wed 26-Apr-17 21:51:18

There's nothing so relaxing as drifting off to sleep next to a snoring cat.

isseywithcats Wed 26-Apr-17 22:02:39

i am the exception here i love my cats to bits and adore the fosters when they are here but right from kitten hood mine have been taught not to go on my bed, i hate furry sheets, cat purring would keep me awake all night, no way, my cats have a great big comfy bed of their own in the spare room with a full length radiator and no they dont scratch the door or howl all night, and they dont attempt to go in my room, i have to have onbe cat free room in the house

C0untDucku1a Wed 26-Apr-17 22:05:14

My cat doesnt leave my side or shoulders from the childrens bedtime onwards

BarneyRumbleton Wed 26-Apr-17 22:06:29

Love having Ozzy in bed. He's a good boy and sleeps through, curled behind my knees. He wakes up when I do and comes and snuggles on the pillow till it's time to get up.

reallyanotherone Wed 26-Apr-17 22:12:13

My cat used to put my kids to bed. Sit on them looking so comfortable they didn't dare move in case they disturbed the cat, then they'd drift off to sleep.

Once the younger was done she'd repeat with the older, then come downstairs until i was ready for bed too smile

honeyroar Wed 26-Apr-17 22:12:40

I'm with you Issey. I adore all my animals, but they all have their own beds and I couldn't stand sleeping with them. They (two cats and three dogs) are allowed on the beds on Sunday lie ins, and they KNOW when it's Sunday!

SparklesandBangs Wed 26-Apr-17 22:13:17

Of our 2 new additions one likes to sleep in her own bed (a small dog bed) at the top of the stairs and often doesn't get up in the morning.
Cat 2 prefers a human bed but regularly gets thrown out of all the bedrooms as she likes to play at 4:30 in the morning. During the day she is either looking out of the patio door or asleep in the middle of my bed.
DC are now 17 & 20 and have had cats in and around their beds since birth with no issues

Oldraver Sun 30-Apr-17 23:43:21

Ernie now sleeps under the bed I blame OH as I reckon he accidentely kicked him off the bed too many times

I miss Ernie snuggles

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now