Talk

Advanced search

So stressed about leaving cat while on holiday

(17 Posts)
user1492772941 Fri 21-Apr-17 12:25:17

Hi everyone, I currently have a week long holiday booked in a couple of months time but I'm stressing so much about the cat that I'm on the verge of cancelling it. He's a 9 year old rescue boy and has been with us since last summer - before that he'd lived with an elderly lady all his life but she sadly died whilst at the vets with him for his annual vaccinations (which must have been quite traumatic for him I think!). He was very very nervous and hid away for a good few weeks when he first arrived but has now settled in really well, but has become incredibly clingy to me - to the extent that he follows me literally everywhere when I'm at home (I work FT), and won't take food from anyone else - if DH is first up in the morning he'll put food down but Leo won't touch it until I go downstairs, pick the plate up and put it back down again. He also tends to get quite nervous of anyone else coming to the house.

I think he'd be miserable in a cattery so at the moment I've provisionally arranged for a family member to come and stay for the week while we're away, but I'm really really worried that Leo will either be terrified and hide all week, refuse to eat or will run away (he's an outdoor cat although we lock him in overnight).

Help!

Toddlerteaplease Fri 21-Apr-17 16:59:44

Could you try him in s cattery for one night before you go and see how he copes. I'm toying with putting mine in one for the first time as they have both have had health issues. But they were kept in a cattery for 5 years in poor conditions so I'm reluctant. I have a fantastic cat sitter so might just ask her to come in twice a day to check on them.

claraschu Fri 21-Apr-17 17:06:47

It's great that you can have someone come and stay! Cats love their own territory and are stressed out by being moved around, in my experience. I think will cope with a new person, might be a bit disturbed for a day or two, but will be fine after that. If you are afraid he might go awol you could have your daily member keep him inside for the first few days, or until he seems calm. I think you should not worry, and certainly shouldn't consider cancelling your holiday. If worst comes to worst, your cat can stay inside for a week; he will forget that it ever happened within a few minutes of you coming home.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Fri 21-Apr-17 17:16:52

Ours are usually outdoor cats but stay indoors while we are away. He will forgive you, eventually!

Tigerblue Fri 21-Apr-17 18:56:55

My two are 17 and I still worry sick the months before we go away. I think he'll be much happier off in his own home with someone staying. Even if he doesn't eat much and hides away, he'll be offered regular food and have someone keeping an eye on him. If he doesn't come out that much, his carer could try leaving the food near him at night so he has the chance of eating while it's quiet.

My two had to go into a cattery when we moved, without going into it, it was a mistake for them and I'd never do it again.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 21-Apr-17 19:28:35

I put ours in a really nice cattery, it's rural and there's lots of pet dogs & horses to watch.

If he does refuse to eat it won't kill him for a week, he will be quite slim though afterwards.

In the cattery I think they eat up in case the cat next door comes in to steal their food.

Trustyourself2 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:49:59

He's better off in his home. Does he know the person who'll be looking after him? If not, introduce them a few times with treats, if that's possible. Leave vet number with carer and tell carer to be strict with Leo's out time. Don't cancel your holiday, it's a slippery slope and unless you're never going to go on holiday again, do it this year, then you'll know it'll be ok going forward.

MsMims Fri 21-Apr-17 22:14:53

Fluffy if cats don't eat for more than 24-48 hours they are at serious risk of developing hepatic lipidosis which can be life threatening. A week without food would leave a cat very unwell, or worse.

OP good on you for taking on an older boy. Could you do a trial run for just a weekend before your week long break? Just to make sure everything will go smoothly and also hopefully put your mind at ease. He will be much happier in his own environment than a cattery, so that's a plus too.

EachandEveryone Fri 21-Apr-17 22:52:19

Mine loves the cattery. It's beautiful on a farm she has loads to look at and plenty of fresh air. The staff adore cats. Can't you find somewhere like that and trial it? They really would notice them not eating as they are so tuned on. It's in Hertfordshire where are you located?

Toddlerteaplease Sun 23-Apr-17 12:18:36

I've decided to bite the bullet and put them in a cattery. I've found an amazing one that is run by a vet. I don't think I'd be able to relax because I'd be sorting If one of them had dislocated her jaw again.

EachandEveryone Sun 23-Apr-17 18:21:12

It's the right move. I never got Glastonbury tickets this year so it looks like I'm going to
Have to cancel mines week stay which is a shame but I can't justify it if I'm not going anywhere. She loves it there I'm convinced.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 23-Apr-17 22:15:02

I feel far more relaxed about my holiday now. Just worried this cattery is going to be so plush that they won't want to come home. It has water fountains etc.

EachandEveryone Sun 23-Apr-17 22:56:44

Oh sounds lovely where is it?

Toddlerteaplease Mon 24-Apr-17 06:53:01

It's called Lime Grove. Near Mansfield. It's about 20 miles away from me in Nottingham. Feel a bit guilty for not putting them in the one that their cat sitter runs though, because they love her. But having a vet on hand is the reason I chose this one and the photo /email updates are a bonus.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 24-Apr-17 06:54:02

Trying to decide wether to take their best beds. Or their second best beds with them. They'll take more luggage than me!

robinia Mon 24-Apr-17 06:59:26

Definitely stick with your cat sitter. Doesn't matter how lovely a cattery is, for a cat home is 100% the best place.
I'd probably keep him in though for your peace of mind.
Even if he rejects the food initially, when he gets hungry he will eat it.
And in any case, if he's healthy he would survive a few days. A former cat of mine survived 11 days with no food and little water.

EachandEveryone Mon 24-Apr-17 08:18:30

I prefer to have the vets nurses over seeing mine. I don't take her bed just her blanket and one of my tshirts plus her favourite toys. Is it outside?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now