Talk

Advanced search

Moving house - cats won't poo outside

(4 Posts)
irie Fri 21-Apr-17 07:05:13

Hi all first post on the litter tray so go easy on me halo

We recently moved house, our cats used to go out all the time and were trained to poo outside from when they were kittens

Since we moved we have not been able to get them to poo outside. We kept them in for two weeks, they are settled now, they do go outside, but come back in to use the litter tray! I've tried moving the litter tray out this morning, which seems to be helping but not much!

Any tips to get them doing their business outside again? I'm so sick of coming down in the morning to a stinky house and cat litter absolutely everywhere (how do they do that!!)

Thanks!

Mermaidinthesea123 Fri 21-Apr-17 07:09:38

Yeah I know the feeling, my outdoor cats have always come in to use the litter tray, in the morning it looks like one of them has been throwing the litter about with a spade from the shed with the other one yelling encouragement!
I think they will go out eventually when they have the lie of the land. Trouble is cats are creatures of habit and once they get into the tray it's hard to get them to stop. You'll have to gradually move it outside, it's spring so it's a good time to start.

irie Fri 21-Apr-17 21:13:05

Ahh sorry to hear you're having similar! I will persevere

Wolfiefan Fri 21-Apr-17 21:18:18

They may feel happy enough to have a quick wee but not secure enough to have a poo!
TBH I'm always happy if mine use a litter tray as I don't need to worry about some cat hating nutter doing something awful if they poo in a neighbour's garden. They're my pets. I'm more than happy to clean a litter tray out.
If you want them to go in your garden try putting a bit of used litter or poo in a corner.
We have a rubber litter catcher mat to stop them spreading it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now