Why does my cat stare intently at something I can't see?

(13 Posts)
Janey50 Thu 20-Apr-17 17:10:35

Why does she do this? It scares me sometimes! I am just getting used to living alone as my DD,her DH and their DD moved out a month ago,having lived with me for the past 10 years (They finally got a council place smile.) Just an example,3 nights ago,I'm in my bedroom,laying on the bed,watching the TV. Cat is sitting at the end of the bed. Her attention is caught by something in the hallway,and she sits staring continuously for the next 20 minutes. I even went and looked myself,thought it might be an insect or something,but no,nothing. Eventually,I was patrolling the entire flat,room by room,with a hammer in my hand FFS. But nothing. Does anyone else's cat do this?

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 20-Apr-17 19:00:24

To deliberately freak you out grin

TheABC Thu 20-Apr-17 19:02:39

Same here. I have decided either he is thinking about higher things or else can see into a dimension I cannot. It is freaky!

Goldfishjane Thu 20-Apr-17 19:05:53

Because she KNOWS.

Reow Thu 20-Apr-17 19:06:56

Ghosties

My cat often freaks out over things I can't see

Sometimes he just glares at me in an indignant way.

CaulkheadNorth Thu 20-Apr-17 19:08:34

My cat did that. Then a new housemate moved in and she stared at the same spot too. Watching them both would both amuse me and crack me up continually

Spadequeen Thu 20-Apr-17 19:10:55

My cats just started doing that. It's always the same place and it's very freaky.

Bluebell28 Thu 20-Apr-17 19:28:28

I have a cat that does that as well. Sits there for ages

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 20-Apr-17 19:58:05

My parents house is haunted and all our cats have done this there.

Our cat did it in our first house, never subsequently. Once he was on my lap in bed and something lifted him and moved him onto the floor 3ft away but he was placed down not dropped.

If Dh hadn't have been there I would've doubted my own eyes. It was morning so not tipsy.

Sometimes here I see a black cat running down the side of the bedroom. We don't have a black cat.

BuckingFrolicks2 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:05:29

Oh ffs. They're just resting in a semi asleep state. There's no ghosts. Jeesh

gunsandbanjos Thu 20-Apr-17 20:26:46

Because they're mental, mine both do the same. Little furry lunatics.

Janey50 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:31:09

OMG Fluffycloudland. That's properly scared me now!

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:34:09

It scared the shit out of me too. We can't explain it.

Cat woke up after he landed. We moved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now