Talk

Advanced search

Stupid question about PDSA

(8 Posts)
Smeaton Thu 20-Apr-17 11:54:48

Basically, cats being spayed, they want donation and I don't know how much to give. They said it would cost £150 if in went private, but my local vet only charges £55?
I don't want to short change them for their work obviously.

Ginorchoc Thu 20-Apr-17 11:59:02

Cost £45 each with my local vet for my cats, no way is it that much!

Smeaton Thu 20-Apr-17 12:18:01

Its what the reception lady said when I asked how much,
"Will you be making a contribution now or later?"
"How much will it be?"
"Give what you can afford but bear in mind that if you went private it would cost £150"

Its a bit mean spirited I guess but I was shocked so called my nearest vets (PDSA is 30minite drive away) and the nearest charge £55.
I went to PDSA because that's where Cats Protection suggested when I called them for advice.
The cats one we've sorted of taken on because she chose to live with us and not leave. grin

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 20-Apr-17 13:31:34

Our vets charge £50.90. I never asked how much is the vip option though.

The problem with lying like this is that people aren't as stupid as they think they are.

I'd go with the local vets and save yourself a car journey.

Hidingtonothing Thu 20-Apr-17 13:44:09

You just give what you can afford OP, PDSA receptionists can be a bit OTT with the 'fundraising' but I guess part of their job is to get as much as they can so the charity can keep going. You won't be shortchanging them if you give whatever you can manage and I wouldn't take any notice of the £150 comment.

fuzzywuzzy Thu 20-Apr-17 13:55:37

Ours was around £30 I think really cheap.

Smeaton Thu 20-Apr-17 13:59:36

I'll give them £35 and for anything else I'll revert to getting quotes from 3 places first. grin

Tbf I've probably given them £100s in the past, their charity shop in the local town is very good and has some good stuff.

Trustyourself2 Thu 20-Apr-17 23:30:25

I'd ask them why they're quoting £150, when vets are quoting at least £90 less. I wouldn't be impressed with PDSA quoting that price. I've never paid that much for this procedure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now