Talk

Advanced search

New cat family - need more advice please.

(2 Posts)
Pinkkahori Thu 20-Apr-17 11:01:48

Following on from my previous thread our newborn kittens are now 4 days old and are doing well.
They have gained weight and their mom (stray cat that adopted us) seems to be doing a great job with them.
I need some advice about a few things though.

They are still on a blanket in the floor of my utility room. It is not an ideal location as I can't access the room easily and also as they get bigger and more mobile it won't be safe.
Any advice on what kind of bed/area would be suitable?
I'm thinking of some kind of large bed in a box but no idea what would be best.
How do I safely move the kittens? Mother cat seems fine with us being near them even when she leaves the room but I don't want to interfere too much and cause problems.
Aargh - I think I am in over my head.
Help.
What would experienced cat people do at this stage?
Thanks

Allergictoironing Fri 21-Apr-17 07:51:02

Not an experienced kitten person, but met plenty & a cardboard box with one side cut away to a couple of inches high lined with old towels or her blanket should be fine.

Get the mother used to you handling the kittens & picking them up - she's obviously decided that you are her new slave so will trust you with them. She should be fine with you then just picking them up & carrying them into the new box, ideally where she can see what you are doing.

You're doing really great, mother & babies seem to be fit & healthy. You may want to have a read up on what food to give lactating mother cats as obviously she's feeding a lot more than herself now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now