Advanced search

What would you do? (Harry's jaw)

(12 Posts)
PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 19-Apr-17 08:49:06

Harry went to the vet last night and his jaw is still slightly unstable. He's on Loxicom for a week and the vet has suggested we have him x-rayed again after that and have them reviewed by their orthopaedic vet so we know what we're dealing with and will know if it gets worse in the future.

My question is, do we put him through another sedation or not? The vet has said that the decision is down to us and we really don't know what to do. I don't know if I'd put him through any more surgery anyway so is it worth having the x-rays done?

We go on holiday at the end of next week so we're not planning on having him x-rayed until we're back so we've got time to decide but I was hoping to get some opinions from you lovely people.

Thanks in advance.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 19-Apr-17 09:36:28

Don't know what to suggest but sending a supportive paw. Fatty seeing orthopaedic surgeon for her jaw tomorrow. Really need to get her back on to dry food as the novelty has worn off the wet and she's not eating much. She went back on to dry after 4 days last time and was much happier.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 19-Apr-17 09:49:45

Thanks Toddler, sending a supportive paw back to you and Fatty.

Luckily Harry is eating his wet food, although his lunches were a problem until we tried him on Hi Life Tempt Me tuna. I think the only problem Harry has is that his jaw is unstable and eating the biscuits causes him a problem after a while.

Good luck to you and Fatty tomorrow.

Trustyourself2 Wed 19-Apr-17 10:24:41

Poor old Harry. Would your vet refer you to The Royal Veterinary College to get a specialist's opinion? Or maybe take him to a veterinary hospital where there are more experienced vets?

Good luck to you both.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 19-Apr-17 10:27:36

I'm taking fatty to the Willows in Solihull tomorrow. On my vets recommendation. They look amazing and I've been very impressed with my dealings with them so far.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 19-Apr-17 10:48:47

When this originally happened the vet at the time mentioned referring him but we didn't go ahead as his jaw stabilised and they were able to remove the wire. Looking back (isn't hindsight wonderful?) I wish we'd gone ahead with it but it didn't seem necessary at the time and we were reluctant to put him through it. If we have the x-rays and the vet recommends it then we'll do it this time and then make a decision.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 20-Apr-17 11:24:40

DH and I have discussed this and we've decided to have the x-rays done, but to wait until we are back from holiday rather than upset him before we go. He's booked in for 22nd May, which is a week after we get back to allow him to go back to his normal routine.

To be honest we are only looking at managing his problems and not putting him through more surgery, but we want to know what is wrong and how best to manage it. Obviously he'll have surgery if necessary but we want to to avoid it if possible.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 21-Apr-17 07:47:51

Is he having a ct as well? Really glad I had madam done because I know for definite there is no fracture and that there is no underlying abnormality of the jaw or TMJ. And the vet saw no reason why she couldn't have dry food. Thank God!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 21-Apr-17 09:10:09

That's good news for Fatty (I hate typing that, it sounds rude!), I'm really pleased for you both. I hope you all now have a run of good luck, you deserve it.

Harry is only having an x-ray at our own vet to start with. It will then be reviewed by an orthopaedic vet and then we can decide on a plan, either to treat or manage the problem. We know the cause already, his jaw is 'moth eaten' from the infection he had last year and, although it was wired, it's still slightly unstable - I was cringing when the vet was moving it about.

Luckily he seems happy on his wet food, we mash it up so it's like a pate as he has no fangs, so we're putting his Loxicom in his breakfast. I know he'd rather have dry food but until we've had the x-rays done he's on wet only.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 21-Apr-17 16:33:57

Poor Harrry. Fingers and paws crossed for him.

RubbishMantra Fri 21-Apr-17 16:59:36

No advice to offer, but wishing you and Monsieur Harry the best. They put us through the mill, don't they?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 21-Apr-17 21:58:23

Thank you Toddler and Mantra.

I'm sure he's responsible for my grey hair as I spend so much time worrying about him! He's curled up on the recliner, trying to push me off pressed into my legs at the moment. I just hope I'm making the right decisions for him. He's fine in himself, we were playing in the garden with a piece of string earlier and he's eating his wet food but I'm always on edge. I don't know what I'd do without him sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: