Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for remembering beloved cat

(18 Posts)
SexNamesRFab Tue 18-Apr-17 22:55:11

We lost our lovely old cat (almost 19) over Easter. He developed an abscess on his throat which came on v quickly and I thought it kinder to have him PTS rather than put him through any treatment (he was v frail and had begun to slow down).

The worst thing was we were away on holiday, so I never got a chance to say goodbye or be with him at the end. Now I'm really struggling with him just being 'gone'. What am I meant to do? Plant a bush? Light a candle? Anything?

Wolfiefan Tue 18-Apr-17 22:58:22

I am so sorry for your loss. You did the right thing not to let him suffer.
You could do something to remember him by. Plant something in a favourite spot in the garden, display of lovely pictures of him or some memorial. (My sister has jewellery made with her horse tail hair.)
Or do something in his name? Sponsor a pen at a local rescue?
flowers
Sorry. It's hard isn't it.

Smeaton Tue 18-Apr-17 23:02:00

I'm sorry for your loss.

I dont know what you could do tbh. When my aunt lost her beloved cat she installed a concrete plinth style birdbath and feeders. It even had a little plaque on with her cats name. Her reasoning was that her cat loved to watch the birds from the window and she wanted something that would bring life back to her garden. I always thought it was a nice thought. She tended that birdbath religiously every day, seed, fresh water, planting around the bottom etc. Like a memorial to her closest friend.

PastysPrincess Tue 18-Apr-17 23:04:42

I don't know. I've still got my cats ashes in my bedside table. I can't figure out what to do with her.

Wolfiefan Tue 18-Apr-17 23:05:32

Pastys you can get jewellery made. (But I know I would be scared of losing it!)

SexNamesRFab Tue 18-Apr-17 23:09:55

I w not for the communal cremation, so I don't even have his ashes sad

Wolfiefan Tue 18-Apr-17 23:11:10

I don't either. Of either of mine.
I carry them in my heart and in my memory. Every day.

BerylStreep Tue 18-Apr-17 23:11:39

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Our cat died last year, and I have just bought a shrub to plant where she is buried. It takes a while to come to terms with it. Ten months on I still dream of her.

I think you just need to be kind to yourself in the immediate future.

Rollypoly100 Tue 18-Apr-17 23:14:15

I'm so sorry. It's awful losing a pet. We had our lovely rescue boy cat for just under three years. He had a stroke and we had to have him put to sleep. We planted a beautiful red rose in our garden and put his ashes there.

PastysPrincess Tue 18-Apr-17 23:37:51

The only reason I've got my cats ashes is because the vet didn't go through all the options until after my cat was gone and I was in a right state. My stepmum didn't bat an eyelid and just paid the £200 fee so I didn't have to decide there and then; but now I don't know what to do. I've seen some of the jewellery which I quite like but it only requires a certain amount of ashes and I don't like the idea of splitting them up.

OP I know of people who have googled their pets name and a plant and it will come up with suggestions of plant varieties. So my boss recently lost his dog whiskey so I found a rose variety called whiskey he could plant in his garden.

Trustyourself2 Wed 19-Apr-17 00:03:28

That's very sad for you. Sorry for the loss of your lovely cat.

I couldn't decide what type of memoriam I wanted for my beloved old cat and it took me ages to decide. I finally decided to have a cat charm for my bracelet, which I'm going to use in memoriam to all of my cats. My mum bought it for me, so it's extra special.

Dolceandgabbana14 Wed 19-Apr-17 10:56:18

So sorry for your loss. We lost our beautiful 11 year old cat 18 months ago and it was so tough. What about a photo in a lovely frame?

My cat was cremated and we had her ashes back. For the poster not sure what to do with them, we bought a special frame from the crematorium with a space in the back for the ashes. From the front it just looks like a normal frame. We've put it up in the conservatory where she liked to sit.

SexNamesRFab Wed 19-Apr-17 22:06:15

That's a lovely red rose Rolly. I've got an old photo of him out and put it on the mantelpiece. Hopefully it will help. I just wish I'd been with him at the end sad

SexNamesRFab Wed 19-Apr-17 22:09:33

Pasty - I just googled to see if I could find a plant with his name and it turns out there's a particularly strong cannabis I could grow! Thanks, that's made me laugh at least grin

Checklist Thu 20-Apr-17 20:03:57

We paid for the individual cremation, so we could hold a memorial to her in the back garden (to give closure to the children) and scatter her ashes in her favourite places. My mum bought us a book, with pieces people had written about their cat and blank spaces for us to put her photos in.

PastysPrincess Fri 21-Apr-17 07:38:30

@SexNamesRFab Ha ha maybe not a cannabis plant then. Lol. 🤣

wineusuallyhelps Fri 21-Apr-17 07:52:27

Sorry for your loss. We lost our elderly cat two years ago.

I know you weren't able to have his remains, but we put a special stone down (where we buried him) and I ordered a slate plaque online which is in the ground next to it. We let the children come up with the wording. It's next to a plant that flowers beautifully at the time of year that he died. It's only a small plaque and stone, but we all like to look at it and remember the good times.

millifiori Fri 21-Apr-17 07:55:54

OP, I'm so sorry you lost your cat. We planted a rose bush in memory of our last cat, over the spot where we buried him - a ginger rose as he was a ginger tom. Whenever it blooms we think of him, and his brother, who lives on, likes to snooze in a sunspot right next to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now