Talk

Advanced search

How much food do you chuck away? Shes gone off wet.

(16 Posts)
EachandEveryone Tue 18-Apr-17 09:32:59

Its a new thing ever since she came back from the cattery shes completely gone off wet food. Unless it has lic e lix on it. I was waiting for my grain free zooplus order so gave her dry iams. Ive had the builder in so it was easier to have some in my b droom. She wakes me up crunching them at 4, 5 and 6am. Im throwing two Lilys pates away a day. Plus other posh wet food. Should i just give up and buy the best dry food i can like orijen or purizon and sainxburys finest wet food? What is Iams like quality wise?

Ollivander84 Tue 18-Apr-17 09:42:12

I'm mean. I would take the dry away for a few days and just put half a pouch of wet down at a time. I did it with Ollie and he grumbled for half a day then decided it was suddenly delicious

Eatingcheeseontoast Tue 18-Apr-17 09:45:37

Persist. She'll go back to loving it eventually. I'd just give her dry Iams till she goes off that then go back to wet food.

We throw out so much but have become much tougher about it and he eventually eats it while grumbling.

LittleCandle Tue 18-Apr-17 09:53:39

My cats hated wet food when I got them from a rescue and then discovered that they had only been fed dry food before hand (I was lucky enough to get their innoculation books). I put them onto dry food and the problem was solved. Now, they get a pouch each of wet food in the morning and they happily eat Lidl's cheap wet food. The rest of the time I give them Harrington's dry food, which is not as expensive as Iams and, I think, just as good. I discovered to my cost that they hated Felix wet food, but was able to give the remaining sachets to the neighbour for their cat that ate anything. Some days the cats are less keen on their wet food, but usually the dog cleans the dish for them when I am out if they have left stuff.

ifonly4 Tue 18-Apr-17 09:55:46

Try some other wet foods - my vet once said she'd rather see a cat on a cheap wet food than dry any day. In recent years my girl has had cystitis and needed extra liquid through diet and my boy now has kidney disease and has to have a lot of fluid to keep him hydrated.

Ollivander84 Tue 18-Apr-17 10:06:54

I think the aldi cat food - the select is high meat content and they do it in jelly or gravy
Or go to pets at home and pick a few random ones, meowing heads and applaws are good

EachandEveryone Tue 18-Apr-17 10:15:36

She doesn't like apple paws but likes the bland encore it's expensive and not complete. I think purizon dry sounds like it's semi wet. TBH Sainsbury's as good as it gets is complete and 50% meat I may have to buy that part of the problem is I work 12 hour shifts so I feed her at 6am I thought there was a dead body in my house when I got in last night at 9 it has been out all day.

Weedsnseeds1 Tue 18-Apr-17 21:32:12

Mine allegedly are a combo of wet and dry at the rescue. He refuses point blank to eat anything but his one brand and flavour of dry here ( supplemented with choice cuts of free range vermin). He drinks plenty of water so I'm hoping he'll survive!

Ollivander84 Tue 18-Apr-17 21:37:28

Ollie is refusing to eat tonight's because it has wormer in it. I'm holding firm grin

cozietoesie Tue 18-Apr-17 21:45:09

Wet food keeps fine in the fridge. It also freezes if you have smallish tubs. smile

EachandEveryone Wed 19-Apr-17 01:18:20

I bought a plastic top for the tin. She wont eat it straight from the fridge! I really dont think i can start taking it ut an hour before so it gets to room temperature like breast milk!

cozietoesie Wed 19-Apr-17 01:28:16

Microwave set on defrost? smile (if you have one.)

EachandEveryone Wed 19-Apr-17 01:46:31

Theres an idea! Thanks.

FedglingFTB Sat 22-Apr-17 09:52:05

I think IAMs are basically cat crack.

I normally feed raw. Forgot to defrost a batch and had to give IAMs, since then he outright refuses anything other for the past few weeks. I've given in for the one being. Hoping to ween him off soon, but it's an expensive and time consuming gamble!

Toddlerteaplease Sat 22-Apr-17 13:33:30

I had a nightmare when Fatty dislocated her jaw as the vet wanted her on wet food. She would eat a little bit but not enough to keep her going. It was very stressful. Thank God the orthopaedic surgeon said she could go back onto dry and both are much happier. As am I! Kicking my self for spending £140 on microchip feeders that they don't use!

EachandEveryone Mon 24-Apr-17 19:36:05

Iams look real professional on the packet though dont they? Once this bags finished im going to zooplus to order some grain free samples of dry i figure if i can get the best quality i can afford it wont be so bad to give her cheaper wet food. Shes turned her nose up at all the good wet stuff and she used to love it. She'll knock the Sheba back though no problem. Another phase i suppose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now