Talk

Advanced search

New cat coming tomorrow, catastrophe yesterday

(30 Posts)
Reluctant2ndtimer Mon 17-Apr-17 08:41:11

We are picking up the beautiful Harold from the rescue centre tomorrow but a friend visited for the weekend bring two dogs and a young tom cat hmm. Tom is not used to being indoors and has sprayed in DD's bedroom. It absolutely stinks in there now. We scrubbed, put down vanish and bicarb and plan on hiring a rug doctor today but I'm not confident of getting rid of the smell. Harold is in the refuge as his previous owners thought that either he or his brother were peeing in their house and he was deemed culprit. The refuge think it may have just been due to two boys sharing and that he'll be ok on his own but now our house stinks of tom will he?
Do we just need to rip out the carpet and get rid?
We're all so looking forward to Harold coming home and don't want anything to hinder him settling in or make him want to piss in the house 😷

Reluctant2ndtimer Mon 17-Apr-17 08:43:26

Here's gorgeous Harold by the way 😍

ItsTimeForDuggee Mon 17-Apr-17 08:49:41

White vinegar is the. Eat thing I have found to get rid of the smell of wee.

ItsTimeForDuggee Mon 17-Apr-17 08:49:56

The best thing blush

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 17-Apr-17 08:51:28

Ooh he is gorgeous.

You can buy urine removal products in pets at home. They'll be open today.

I think he'll figure out he's the only cat in the house, it was probably the stress of living so close to his brother that was stressing him.

YesItsMeIDontCare Mon 17-Apr-17 08:58:25

Get some Feliway.

I've had success with white vinegar too, but I don't think it will take him long to realise he's the only cat and totally in charge.

He really is gorgeous! I'm sure he'll be fine.

Reluctant2ndtimer Mon 17-Apr-17 09:04:21

Thanks all, trouble is im not sure where abouts the other cat sprayed. The whole room reeks sad I've got white vinegar, do I just pour it everywhere?

And never let friend darken our door again.

RubyRedRuby Mon 17-Apr-17 09:05:26

This stuff www.amazon.co.uk/Simple-Solution-Stain-Odour-Remover/dp/B004GBZ1TO?tag=mumsnetforum-21 is brilliant if you can get it from a local pet shop. If not get a free Amazon prime trial and get it tomorrow smileGood luck with Harold!

JellyMouldJnr Mon 17-Apr-17 09:09:39

You can get a UV light to see where the wee is and put Simple Solution on it (both available from pets at home)

9GreenBottles Mon 17-Apr-17 09:11:08

Biological washing liquid (diluted and rubbed in to affected areas) did the trick for me.

Harold is a handsome chap. Good luck with him grin

dementedpixie Mon 17-Apr-17 09:11:58

You needs something with enzymes to break down the odour molecules. Pats at home should sell appropriate stuff.

dementedpixie Mon 17-Apr-17 09:12:49

Why in earth did they bring all their pets with them? Did they ask if it was Ok?

LookAtTheFlowersKerry Mon 17-Apr-17 09:15:06

Who brings a cat with them to someone's house? Bonkers.

We always used the spray stuff from the pet shop when Dcat was a kitten and hadn't worked out the litter tray. She used the space behind the tv unit but after spraying it twice she stopped.

Reluctant2ndtimer Mon 17-Apr-17 09:44:45

Right, trip planned to pets at home.
The friend is the reason we're getting Harold really. She visited with one dog and a very small kitten a few months ago and we were all smitten, especially DH Who's always said he hated cats, it's just that the small kitten grew into pissy tom cat. The poor thing isn't used to being indoors for days.

dementedpixie Mon 17-Apr-17 09:46:21

Had she had the cat neutered? Less likely to spray then

ItsTimeForDuggee Mon 17-Apr-17 10:40:45

If you have spray bottle fill half with water half with white vinegar and spray away. I didn't find any or urine removal products worked

Gobbolinothewitchscat Mon 17-Apr-17 10:51:31

Why did she bring a cat with her? Is this a thing?! confused

The thing is, if you sprinkle white wine vinegar wverywherere and don't extract it, your just diluting piss

I would really suggest borrowing a carpet cleaner or hiring one. Mine has an upholstery attachment that I can use to clean mattresses and curtains etc. It will wash and suck up the dirty water/piss and hopefully you can then do another treatment with one of the pet urine things

Gobbolinothewitchscat Mon 17-Apr-17 10:51:57

you're

TheTigerWhoCame2Tea Mon 17-Apr-17 11:23:53

Harold is beautiful!!
Also pets at home do this spray that will neutralize odors etc that works really well - I used it to stop a Tom cat spraying outside my front door (and freaking my boys out). Could he have sprayed on something other then the carpet? Maybe furniture / curtains etc?

Good luck with handsome Harold!

Reluctant2ndtimer Thu 20-Apr-17 09:16:52

Phew the smell is all gone! Harold has settled in amazingly well, he's so chilled and relaxed.
Now I'm worried he's starving though. The refuge gave us dry food and said a small measure twice a day. He barely ate any though so I gave him a pouch of chunks in jelly which he devoured in no time. I think he'd quite like 2 at once. He still isn't going outside yet so he's not getting much excercise so does he just need this much food anyway? Should I give him 2 pouches at once? He's a big cat but still a kitten really at 10 months so not fully adult sized yet. Look how big he is!

Toddlerteaplease Thu 20-Apr-17 10:56:58

Omg what a magnificent beast. He looks like he owns the place already!

YesItsMeIDontCare Thu 20-Apr-17 10:59:49

Oh he's gorgeous - and he knows it!

I wouldn't give him 2 pouches at once. Maybe 1 twice a day and reduce the dry food accordingly.

EachandEveryone Thu 20-Apr-17 11:58:31

Omg hes bloody gorgeous and huge!

YetAnotherSpartacus Thu 20-Apr-17 15:09:32

ZOMG ... I'd hand over whatever he asked for.... What a big darling! Look at that tail!

Tigerblue Thu 20-Apr-17 16:07:06

He's gorgeous, he's made me feel broody. He maybe off his dry due to the stress in moving. If you'd like him to have some wet, you could take this opportunity to change him over. I'd do it slowly though as a sudden change can give them tummy problems.

Try encouraging him to have a little of his dry and I'd only give him another pouch today if he hasn't eaten anything else.

This may not go down well, but now you've got Harold, you're friend will have to leave their cat at home especially if it's going to spray. Your home is now his territory!

Hope you enjoy him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now