Talk

Advanced search

Why did no one warn me?

(13 Posts)
YoullNeverWeeAlone Sun 16-Apr-17 22:24:38

Got two lovely rescue kittens last autumn. Lost one (temporarily) at Christmas when burglars forced a window open. Was 3 days of stress and guilt. I literally lost sleep.

Now they go out. They usually come home on a timetable and can be regularly spotted in the garden in between. Except sometimes one of them just disappears for 12 hours or so. And i get stressed about cars, dogs, locked in sheds etc. Then back strolls kitty like nothing is amiss.

I really hadn't bargained on just how much i would worry about them and how responsible for them I'd feel. It's like having extra children.

I love them, but maybe that's the problem here 😂

Trustyourself2 Sun 16-Apr-17 22:39:11

In all honesty, you spend most of your time thinking about them because you love them dearly and want them to be happy & safe. However, because they're contrary, independent, head-wrecking little so & so's, and so cute with it, they put your head in a spin but before you know it, you're hooked for life.

Welcome, all be it belatedly, to our world of subserviency.

YoullNeverWeeAlone Sun 16-Apr-17 22:49:21

Am now failing to get an early night as the one who went AWOL today is sleeping on my lap and i don't want to disturb her!?! Even the DC don't get away with this sort of thing.

Guess i should just resign myself to my new post as their slave.

YesItsMeIDontCare Sun 16-Apr-17 22:56:59

Resign yourself to your post of slave? Resign yourself?

You should be grateful that they have allowed you to have that position.

Had cats for years, me. I know my place 😂.

Trustyourself2 Sun 16-Apr-17 23:08:42

YoullNeverWeeAlone me too. One of mine's busy having a wash on my lap & I'm falling asleep with tiredness, but don't want to disturb her.

What's wrong with us?!

Jellybean85 Sun 16-Apr-17 23:12:44

Hahaha mine is fairly regular and sticks to his routine but occasionally disappears for a few days just to mess with me, then saunters up meowing like crazy and seemingly disgruntled I haven't continued to put down all his meals in his absence grin
But Iet it slide because, you know, love hmm

Imissmy0ldusername Sun 16-Apr-17 23:13:43

I was getting to the point with Joan Collins Cat where I'd text DH to get him to cuddle her so I could go for a wee and she wouldn't feel lonely. We recently got her a heated blanket, and she's gravitated to it beautifully - it's definitely made a difference to the balance of power chez Imiss!

cakesandphotos Sun 16-Apr-17 23:20:15

We're away on holiday tomorrow and DH decided it would be a good idea to let the cat out at 10, knowing how much I worry. He's currently out looking for him while I try not to feel sick with worry. I can't help but worry myself silly about them

witwootoodleoo Sun 16-Apr-17 23:24:30

This is why I catproofed my garden. My anxiety and cats don't mix.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 24-Apr-17 07:27:58

I've decided that if having kids is as stressful as having cats, I don't want any. Both have had health issues in the last few months and are five now. But I'm a nervous wreck!

JessicaEccles Mon 24-Apr-17 16:13:30

'really hadn't bargained on just how much i would worry about them and how responsible for them I'd feel. It's like having extra children. '

Ha! I never had children because of the worry- and I am exactly the same. One of mine was seriously ill at the end of January- I really thought he was going to die- and even now I sometimes poke him awake or get up in the night to check on him.

The other one is a right wanderer and I am often in the garden in my nighty, shaking dreamy packets...

Toddlerteaplease Mon 24-Apr-17 16:24:32

Jessica, so glad it's not just me that pokes them! One of mine was also critically ill in February and wasn't expected to survive, but is now fine. Just trying to get over that and the other one dislocated her jaw, twice. I keep switching on the light In the middle of the night to check she's got her mouth closed. It's been the most stressful few months of my life! confused

PosiePootlePerkins Mon 24-Apr-17 16:59:23

One of mine sadly went missing in January, we now have two more rescues but every time they go out I am paranoid! In fact they are completely different cats and very happy to be around us, but even so I can't rest until they are both back home safely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now