Talk

Advanced search

Abandoned Burmese - help!

(38 Posts)
CheepAndOrm Sun 16-Apr-17 15:54:37

I've just gone on a walk with the kids and we discovered a (what looks to be) Burmese cat in a box at the end of our road.
It's alive and seems to be well (it's in the garden because it's being very aggressive and i have young kids)
I'm really not a cat person and the only person near me who would be has gone away for the weekend, so I've got a few questions i need answering to try to survive the bank holiday (most local cat shelter closed til Tuesday)
Please be gentle. I literally know nothing about them and getting supplies this late on a Sunday will be near enough impossible.

Firstly, it's going to have to live in the shed. Not because I'm nasty. I don't like it, it's aggressive, it's weeing everywhere and she has allergies. So I've emptied the shed for it.
What sort of provisions will it survive on til Tuesday? I've got an old picnic blanket and a washing basket as a bed.
I know it can't eat human food, we had a pizza and a curry as I'm shopping on Tuesday. I have a half tin of dog food (for our visiting hedgehog family) - can it eat that in an emergency if it's starving?

It looks well enough fed.
No point checking it's microchip or putting anything online for its owners as owner clearly didn't want it.

The "cat person" will be back late tomorrow evening so i might be able to borrow a cat carrier to take it to the shelter, if i cant..How do i transport it?

It's literally just stood in the lawn hissing at me. Will time in a darkened shed call it down? It doesn't seem to want to leave of it's own accord.

Ollivander84 Sun 16-Apr-17 16:00:02

That's fine as a bed. Shallow bowl of water
Have you any tuna/ham/chicken or a neighbour you can beg cat food off?

Ollivander84 Sun 16-Apr-17 16:00:35

If you're by chance anywhere in Lancashire I can help!

CheepAndOrm Sun 16-Apr-17 16:08:13

I'm in Nottinghamshire :0( the neighbours aren't currently in but I'll go begging after dinner time. Is no food better than dog food?

Also. If it did​ wander off would it be ok in the wild? I know, it's a cat so it should. But i know Burmese are usually house cats (or am i thinking of something else?)

Ollivander84 Sun 16-Apr-17 16:10:52

Depends on the individual really - I imagine if its an indoor cat it will be happier hiding/sheltering
I wouldn't give any food unless you manage to track something suitable down, you may find a cat person who can help you out!

CheepAndOrm Sun 16-Apr-17 16:15:11

Gotcha. I won't give it something if it's not cat food. I've just read somewhere they can get belly issues if you change their food from what they're used to.
An angry cat with belly issues is the last thing i want!

Xcrispypancakesx Sun 16-Apr-17 16:19:25

I don't see the harm in giving it a bit of dog food, if it's hungry it'll eat it, if it's not it won't. It's only a temporary measure.

I would also maybe ask around you neighbourhood about the cat - Theres any number of reasons it's been dumped in the box, it could be children messing about, or it may have been stolen ? I'm a member of a local lost pets group on Facebook, sadly I'm not in your area, can you check to see if there is something similar in your area and explain your predicament here. If youre not on Facebook, perhaps ask a friend to do it for you - I'm not a great fan of Facebook, but it is very useful for these kind of things.

Xcrispypancakesx Sun 16-Apr-17 16:22:54

Explain you have found a cat on Facebook in local 'lost pets ' page not here on mn, is what I was trying to say.

Don't just assume that the owners have dumped it.

FannyWisdom Sun 16-Apr-17 16:24:44

Beg borrow or steal a carrier.

Honest she can shred a cardboard box no matter how much tape.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 16-Apr-17 16:24:46

Where are you in Nottinghamshire? I could drop some food in. Am in Liverpool at the minute but will be back later.

CheepAndOrm Sun 16-Apr-17 16:25:03

I've posted on Facebook and someone will be dropping off some food later. They're going to see if they can take it off my hands til after the bank holiday too. Win win

Toddlerteaplease Sun 16-Apr-17 16:25:24

I've also got a spare carrier you can borrow.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 16-Apr-17 16:25:43

And a spare litter tray.

Iris65 Sun 16-Apr-17 16:26:03

Poor cat. Please don't let it run off. It could get run over, caught by a fox or end up savaged by a dog or fighting with another cat.
Stick it in the shed with a bowl of water, a small bowl of tuna or chicken if you can't get hold of cat food.
Ring the rescue centres tomorrow or Tuesday. You could also give it a washing up bowl with soil or sand for toiletting as its an emergency. Hopefully it will use it but I also advise putting newspaper on the floor to speed cleaning up.
Good luck.

IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Sun 16-Apr-17 16:28:44

Have you got any tuna? My cat goes mental for some tuna, should be in water though, not oil. Cats love cheese although it isn't really very good for them.

I agree with posting on a local Facebook lost pets page. Someone on there might even have a scanner and can scan for a microchip.

Was the cat actually shut in the box? I ask because cats bloody love a box so it might well have got in there by choice.

fenneltea Sun 16-Apr-17 16:30:02

Id offer it food, it's probably being aggressive because it's frightened and just had a traumatic experience.
We have local vets that will take in stray cats and try to locate an owner, perhaps it might be worth ringing round, I'm sure one will be able to help.
I'd put the food in the shed with water a warm bed and a litter tray and shut him in for the night, having rehomed several cats that were living wild,I have to say that they generally don't do well and are much healthier being fed and sheltered.
Cats protection or other charities may be able to help too.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 16-Apr-17 16:31:06

It might've been stolen and dumped because it's fighting with other cats. They often can't survive on their own.

Dog food won't kill it.

childmaintenanceserviceinquiry Sun 16-Apr-17 16:34:33

Most cats will eat bits of fresh meat, eg ham, chicken, lamb - all off bones. pehaps not fish - some cats find it not OK. No milk, do leave water.

Try local places eg local facbook groups, neighbourhood groups etc with a photo and are still stuck. If you are sure it is a burmese, Try these people and they can perhaps advise burmesecatassociation.org/contacts/2-helen-hewitt.html

If it is not a burmese, similar rescue groups exist for siamese and oriental that I know of and can post back for you. They all have lost and found posts.

Weedsnseeds1 Sun 16-Apr-17 16:39:04

Poor thing sounds terrified. Pop it in the shed with the make shift bed, bowl of water. You have found someone to give you some cat food, so I would wait for that. Also litter tray if some kind. Use sand, newspaper or earth in place if cat litter.

FannyWisdom Sun 16-Apr-17 16:40:57

Watch out, she may howl when she's locked in.

CheepAndOrm Sun 16-Apr-17 16:43:15

It was in a sealed box, the only reason i looked in the box was because we saw the tail and it moving.
I agree it's probably aggressive because it's scared.

We've herded it into the shed with blanket, soil and water and it'll stay there until this person comes with food. As i said, they MIGHT be able to take it away as they know more about cats and can potentially look after it til they can take it to a shelter or vet.

If not, would it be ok left in the shed with food and clean water until i can do something with it?
I'm hoping the quiet and darkness will calm it down somewhat.

CheepAndOrm Sun 16-Apr-17 16:44:48

fannywisdom it's being quiet for now, just meowing loudly occasionally and the hissing has stopped. Im aware it may howl at night.
My hopes are pinned on this random person coming over and falling in love with it...

CheepAndOrm Sun 16-Apr-17 17:00:31

Yay. It's gone.
Lovely lady who collected it could tell i knew nothing and has promised to give it more creature comforts than my shed could provide.
She's going to take it or the vet later to scan it's chip but i suspect she's just going to keep it

Thanks for the advice :0)

TheBogQueen Sun 16-Apr-17 17:00:53

Burmese are very intelligent cats and very vocal which can be intimidating.

A shed is fine with some bedding.

Will probably be shot saying thison here but years ago we used to give ours some milk and a small bit of cheese occasionally.

Not ideal food but if she is hungry and it's an emergency it might help settle her down a bit in the shed.

Love Burmese cats they really are gorgeous.

Dipsydora Sun 16-Apr-17 17:01:30

Seriously get it microchip scanned it could be stolen. Dumped in box could mean some nasty person has grabbed it and driven it miles and dumped her. If Burmese they can be a bit of a pain to neighbors they steel etc so could be a reason.
Water food and something to sleep on she will be fine locked in shed. What color etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now