Talk

Advanced search

Cat dandruff

(6 Posts)
BaDumShh Sat 15-Apr-17 19:50:57

I have a 4 year old indoor cat, she's a semi long hair. The other day I noticed some white flecks on her, I thought she'd just rolled in a bit of dust or something, but I've just brushed her (I brush her every 2-3 days as she sheds a lot) and there was quite a large amount of dandruff-looking type stuff in the fur I brushed off. I've never noticed this on her before. Does anyone know what causes this, or how to treat it? She is indoor only, has a combo of wet and dry food and 2 water bowls, so she shouldn't be dehydrated. Is there something in her diet that is perhaps missing?

DumbledoresApprentice Sat 15-Apr-17 20:03:46

Mine has been the same recently. I've been giving her more fish-based foods with lots of omega fish oils. It seems to be getting better but that could be coincidental. You can buy salmon oil supplement online too, I haven't bought any yet but if it gets bad again then I plan on buying some. I don't want her to be itchy and uncomfortable. I give her this as an occasional treat. www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=46633

BaDumShh Sat 15-Apr-17 22:23:26

dumbledoresapprentice that would make sense as she mainly has meat rather than fish, as she won't eat fish based wet food pouches fussy cow I will have to treat her to some tinned salmon once a week! spoilt cow

Toddlerteaplease Sun 16-Apr-17 08:54:31

I give vita pet salmon oil from zoo plus. It's worked a treat. It's the only supplement they'll actually eat. And within two days their coats look so much better.

ElizaDontlittle Sun 16-Apr-17 11:52:30

My cat had this problem and this thread here gave me a few solutions. In her case it was stress - by the time I had ordered the salmon oil and it had arrived from Amazon it had settled down.

BaDumShh Sun 16-Apr-17 13:49:35

Thanks all, I've ordered some salmon oil from zoo plus which will hopefully help her smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now