Talk

Advanced search

Vet or not?

(9 Posts)
PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 15-Apr-17 17:36:29

Harry is off his biscuits again. He only has a few grams at lunchtime and evening but although he's eaten them he hasn't inhaled them like he usually does. He's eating his wet food without a problem so I can't decide whether to take him to the vet in case there's another problem with his jaw/teeth.

First time he was off his dry food he had an infection and needed another dental, last time he was just off his biscuits, although the vet did say his jaw was unstable.

I don't want to put him through unnecessary trips to the vet but I don't want to miss anything either. To complicate matters further we're going to Florida at the end of the month!

Do I take him or not?

Trustyourself2 Sat 15-Apr-17 18:16:00

Take him, to put your mind at rest. It's awful stressing them with vet visits, but you'll just keep stressing if you don't. Hope he's ok.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 15-Apr-17 18:58:11

Thank you for replying. You're right, I'm only going to be stressing if I don't take him. I feel guilty as he's been through so much but I'll feel worse if I don't take him and then find out there's something wrong later on!

Since I posted he's eaten most of the biscuits I put down and been chasing his toys around the garden so I'm cautiously optimistic he'll be ok but I won't take the chance.

Trustyourself2 Sat 15-Apr-17 22:34:29

Ah, little sweetheart. Sounds like he's not in pain, at least.

honeyroar Sat 15-Apr-17 22:37:08

It's always better to check than not.

What happens if you dampen his biscuits? Does he eat them then?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 16-Apr-17 08:54:29

He ate some biscuits in the night but not all. Instead of dry for lunch today I'm going to try him on half a pouch of Hi Life tuna - for some reason he won't eat his Natures Menu for lunch!

We tried dampening the biscuits and he looked at me as though I'd lost the plot. He sniffed them and stalked off to sulk until we put proper crunchy biscuits down! The other thing I'm thinking of doing once he's had the all clear (hopefully) from the vet is to smash the biscuits into tiny pieces so he doesn't have to crunch very much.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 18-Apr-17 14:32:41

Please send lots of positive thoughts to Harry and I, he's off to the vet at 6pm tonight. I'm hoping he's just got a sore mouth and no treatment will be needed as we go away in 10 days time and I don't need anything else to worry about!

Dolceandgabbana14 Tue 18-Apr-17 18:51:50

How did the appointment go?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 18-Apr-17 19:17:26

Harry's jaw is still unstable so he's got Loxicom for the next week in case he's uncomfortable. We've got to keep an eye on him and, depending how he is, he might have to have x rays. That should be able to wait until after we get back from holiday though. I'm not keen on him being sedated just before we go away and leave him - I feel bad enough about that as it is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now