Talk

Advanced search

What times do you feed your cat/kitten wet food?

(16 Posts)
dementedpixie Thu 13-Apr-17 17:20:12

I am going to start giving my 5 month olds kittens only 2 feeds instead of 3 as they have been leaving stuff in the middle of the day and it's getting wasted. If you only feed wet food twice what times do you find best for giving it? There is dry food out as well for if they get peckish in between feeds. I fed them first thing this morning and haven't put new stuff out yet but they are sleeping so can't be starving. Do I wait a bit later before feeding again?

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 13-Apr-17 17:40:59

I feed when he asks, if he leaves some it gets eaten later.

ElizaDontlittle Thu 13-Apr-17 19:41:51

Mine is always awake and bouncy when I get in from work - so she eats at my breakfast and tea time - although she's not read the cats-don't-overeat memo so she probably would eat happily at lunchtime too! I'd wait til the pixiekittens wake up and ask for it.

dementedpixie Thu 13-Apr-17 19:49:56

They didn't really ask so put food out when I was doing the kids dinner so they didn't beg too much for chicken and cheese (pizza toppings). They ate some and can go back if They want more

Trustyourself2 Thu 13-Apr-17 19:57:37

I always leave dried food out for my 3, just so they can have a nibble when they're peckish.

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Thu 13-Apr-17 19:59:34

7M and 5pm - wet
Dry down all day

crumpetsandcoffee Thu 13-Apr-17 20:06:15

Dry food down in the morning and another wee scatter of dry at lunch if their bowls are empty then wet at tee time. Are you maybe giving them too much? Try half a sachet each instead of a whole one and see how they get on. My two eat a lot some days and very little others.

dementedpixie Thu 13-Apr-17 20:10:41

They haven't eaten as much the last 2 days tbh. Before that they were having half to 3 quarters of a sachet 3 times a day. I use 200g tins too so a half tin did both as a meal. Today i did 3quarters of sachet each this morning that got finished and then 1 sachet each that has a bit left. Don't know if that's too much or not. Dry food does get eaten in between too

Toddlerteaplease Fri 14-Apr-17 09:57:13

Mine just have dry down all day. Neither of them gorge on it. They have half a can of pate each on a Sunday night as a treat. It's the only wet food they'll eat.

DumbledoresApprentice Fri 14-Apr-17 13:57:53

Mine has wet morning and early evening. A small portion of dry in the evening is given either in a puzzle feeder or fed by hand in return for high-fives. If I put out dry in the day she wouldn't touch the wet stuff. She's a complete biscuit fiend. She doesn't gorge or wolf down wet food but will inhale a plate of biscuits in seconds.

mistermagpie Fri 14-Apr-17 14:28:55

My two have three full sachets a day each. One first thing in the morning, one about 5:30pm and one about 10pm. It sounds like a lot but they don't eat dry food and are both on the lower end of normal in terms of weight. They are very active bengals though to be fair.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 14-Apr-17 17:58:10

Mine has wet morning and evening with a small bowl of dry at lunchtime and before I go to bed if he's finished the wet. I can't leave dry down for him as he'd gorge on it and I worry about him damaging his jaw again.

dementedpixie Fri 14-Apr-17 18:12:15

Haven't given the second wet food yet as they are asleep and I'm too lazy to get up (dh gave me his cold/cough and the coughing has given me a sore throat and head). They were outside in the rain earlier and drinking the manky pond water. Think the fresh air tired them out

Lilybensmum1 Fri 14-Apr-17 18:16:45

I feed my dcat 1 sachet at about 7am or whenever we are up then again at about 5 I tend to give her dry at nighttime if her wet food has not been eaten, that's if I can stop the DC giving her dreamies at any time of the day,

dementedpixie Fri 14-Apr-17 18:19:03

I have found offering pieces of cooked chicken is the best way of getting the cats in from the garden without having to chase them round the garden. Also like dreamies and webbox sticks

Checklist Sat 15-Apr-17 23:50:18

I give them each one sachet around 8.30 am and another around 7 pm, although as they can't read, they both sit and watch me asleep in bed from around 4 am - looking for the first sign of getting out of bed!

75% Boy (weighs 1.5 kg more than his sister) has been put on short rations by the vet - 75% for 6 weeks to see if he loses weight! Meanwhile Sister aka Lapdog cat is "a lovely weight", so can eat whatever she wants!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now