Talk

Advanced search

House move stress

(7 Posts)
Londonjam Tue 11-Apr-17 13:06:30

We moved a week ago, our 5 year old moggy seems to be settling okay but is jumpy and looking a bit straggled and like he's lost some weight. He's not got his usual energy, not asking for food etc.

Is this normal after a house move?

We're using Feliway which seems to help and he's already exploring outside quite confidently. There don't seem to be too many other cats in the neighbourhood. I am guessing it's just time but I feel bad for him 😔

Wolfiefan Tue 11-Apr-17 13:08:39

Why is he out after just a week? Don't let him out until he feels safe and settled in the house! I would maybe restrict him and gradually increase how much of the house he's allowed in so he feels more comfortable.

Londonjam Tue 11-Apr-17 13:12:01

It is soon to be going out I agree but he loves going outside and I think he would be a lot unhappier if we didn't let him.

He's only allowed out when we are here and not at night.

Wolfiefan Tue 11-Apr-17 13:13:08

But if he isn't happy in the house he may well take off.

Londonjam Tue 11-Apr-17 13:17:12

True. Perhaps we will take a step back on that one. I think we are just willing him back to normal as soon as possible sad

Wolfiefan Tue 11-Apr-17 13:20:06

I don't blame you. We relocated across country. Moving the cats was really stressful. And we had to rent for 6 months then buy. So lots of moving. They did end up settling well. I would think back to being a kitten. Keep in a room or two. Give hiding places. Treats. Places to climb and play. Let him look out the (closed!) windows!'gradually increase access to the house. Lots of cuddles. And is he microchipped? Remember to change your contact details!

Londonjam Tue 11-Apr-17 13:22:06

Thanks for the tips. Your moves sound stressful! I've managed to tempt him with some fresh tuna so perhaps more treats over the next week or so.

Yes he's chipped and my DH changed the address details.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now