Talk

Advanced search

Would a rescue let me get a cat for my grandma if she isn't present?

(9 Posts)
silkpyjamasallday Tue 11-Apr-17 10:58:00

Hello, my grandma has always been a cat lover, always had one or two to keep her company but recently lost her latest rescue to a traffic accident. She is obviously lonely without a fluffy companion but seems reluctant to get another as the last one was killed quite soon after her getting it and she is grieving.

When I've brought up getting another cat she has brushed it off saying she is too old, she is in her eighties, but the women in my family in the recent past have all lived to over 100 and she is still relatively sprightly. Most of her cats have been rescues or strays (she always has them checked for microchips before permanently taking them in) none have been an intentional acquisition.

Essentially I would like to get her a new cat as we live a fair distance away and I can't visit as much now that I have dd. Would a rescue allow me to get a cat for her if she isn't there with me? I'd like to get an indoor cat that is over 5 years old as I think a kitten would be too much for her but an adult cat would be totally manageable.

Is this a stupid idea? Is it even possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dementedpixie Tue 11-Apr-17 11:01:53

It would be preferable that she went with you. I wouldn't just pick a cat as you are not totally sure she even wants a new one. I don't think they would let you get one for someone else anyway

ExplodedCloud Tue 11-Apr-17 11:02:47

I think decent rescue places will all do homechecks so she would have to be involved and if she's not keen then they aren't going to approve it.

Jinglebells99 Tue 11-Apr-17 11:03:09

I would listen to your grandma. She says she doesn't want another cat. My friend was presented with a dog for her birthday last year. She'd recently lost her elderly dog and was furious. She said that's me tied to the house for the next 15 years! I'd make an effort to visit more often if you care about her. A cat wouldn't really replace you.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 11-Apr-17 11:04:51

I don't think they would. She's said she can't cope with losing another one & I can believe it. It would worry me at that age that I might outlive it or lose it.

My grandad put off getting another dog 25 years ago because the dog might outlive him and has recently passed at 101. He didn't want to go through it all again.

I can see your point though, Dh always says fil should get another dog but he won't.

silkpyjamasallday Tue 11-Apr-17 12:22:15

Thanks for your help, I think you are all right and it wouldn't be the best idea, and I agree a decent rescue centre shouldn't allow people to just turn up and take a cat without checking out the person. I just know that if a stray came by again she would most definitely take it in but if she doesn't want to go herself and rescue one I suppose I have to understand it isn't my decision to make. I just don't want her to be lonely

MaudesMum Tue 11-Apr-17 12:23:06

What might reassure your grandmother is to agree, within the family, who would take on the cat, were she to get to the point that she had to go into care, or sadly died. You could then present this possibility to her so that she knew there was a back-up plan? But, it really has to be her decision, and all sorts of things such as carrying home heavy catfood, sorting out litter trays, paying for vets bills, may be weighing on her mind as things she can't face dealing with as she ages.

Wolfiefan Tue 11-Apr-17 12:24:34

Can she cat proof her garden or get an adult rescue that needs to be an indoor cat? Regarding her concerns about her age can I mention the Cinnamon Trust. They help elderly or unwell pet owners keep their pets. They also place animals who have lost their owners into permanent fosters if the need arises.
But no. You shouldn't surprise her with a cat.

silkpyjamasallday Fri 14-Apr-17 13:55:33

Update! My grandma went and got a cat from a rescue herself yesterday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now