Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed re new kitten

(19 Posts)
hemel07 Mon 10-Apr-17 13:36:16

Hi, I posted a few weeks back regarding thoughts on getting a kitten to join our 5yr old female cat. I've contacted a few rescue centres as would prefer to get one from them, have largely been ignored, but did get an email back from one today saying that cats are not social animals and prefer to live alone. We always had more than one cat when we were growing up, all brought in at different times, and they were always ok. Now I don't know what to do. We really want a kitten!

LapdanceShoeshine Mon 10-Apr-17 13:46:08

While it's probably true in general about cats being solitary animals, lots do live happily with companions. Trouble is you don't know till you try it which kind you've got confused

(We started out with 2 sisters & later added a kitten. The 2 sisters were not pally as adults anyway and as time went on it became clear that one of them was generally not happy & she ended up leaving home. She's now been rehomed as an only cat)

thecatneuterer Mon 10-Apr-17 14:56:13

I'm very surprised about that. Lots of cats are very social indeed, but it is of course a risk. There are almost no kittens around at all at the moment. Kitten season is just starting and most kittens won't be ready for homes for another two months. That is probably why you haven't heard back if you are specifically asking about kittens.

I would either wait another couple of months or maybe consider an adult cat that is proven to like other cats, as that is at least half the battle won.

Where in the country are you?

Trustyourself2 Mon 10-Apr-17 15:26:51

It's impossible to know if your Dcat will take to another cat. Some cats love the company of other cats, but I think the general default of a cat is to not seek out the company of another cat. I have to keep one of my Dcats separate to one of my other Dcats - its a nightmare.

Have you been in touch with any small rescues in your area, as opposed to the RSPCA and Cats Protection?

PuppyMonkey Mon 10-Apr-17 15:30:29

IME cats are only really sociable with cats who are related to them, i.e. Brothers, sisters etc. Whenever we've had two cats who aren't related, they can't chuffing stand each othergrin - but they do get on with their solitary lives in the same house etc.

user1488788454 Mon 10-Apr-17 15:45:53

When I got my big lad we were told he hated other cats and would only ever be an only cat, selfishly a year later I was dying for another and adopted an 11 week old Millie! I will admit, it took abit of work and patience but I think this photo tells the rest of the story!
Any questions please feel free to pm me smile

smurfy2015 Mon 10-Apr-17 16:20:08

@user1488788454 i forgot for a second it was MN and went to click like

hemel07 Mon 10-Apr-17 16:47:17

Thankyou everyone. We got our current cat when she was 18months old from the RSPCA, and as lovely as that was, I would really like to let the DC have the experience of a really young kitten as they are so much fun. The email I got was from the cats protection league and although was only advice made me feel like I wasn't putting my cats needs first. Maybe they're right? We live in Yorkshire.

PuppyMonkey Mon 10-Apr-17 18:42:58

Ah well if you live in Yorkshire, the cats are ALL really sociable there...grin

Sounds like you're going ahead anyway OP but just be prepared that it is entirely possible they may not like each other.

user1488788454 Mon 10-Apr-17 19:48:49

My personal experience, I think it helps if they are of opposite sex also making sure the oldest is neutered for obvious reasons! I don't think Darwin would have took to another cat quite so well if it was a boy 😊

hemel07 Mon 10-Apr-17 19:52:01

Should we decide to proceed I will make sure we get a boy. Our cat is pretty placid and friendly with all of us. I realise we are not cats! How did you introduce them User?

Weedsnseeds1 Mon 10-Apr-17 21:58:05

What a gorgeous chunky lump user !

Badcat666 Mon 10-Apr-17 22:45:37

It's a load of dogs dangly bits that cats are solitary animals, just look at barn or farm cats that live in huge communities. I've always had more than one cat even as a child. Whenever we got a new cat (always one no one wanted any more and even a couple of strays) we introduced them slowly to each animal in the house and after a week or two (and even a few days) it was like they had always been there. Even my vet has always said two cats are better than one. The only trouble we had were 2 sisters who hated each other until they were about 5 and now they are always together. Yes some of them only tolerated each other but that was down to their personalities as each one was different. Most of them though would get on like a house on fire! I even had one that would bring home other pols cats which was a bit weird coming home from work to find more cats than I owned sleeping in a big cat pile on my bed grin

user1488788454 Tue 11-Apr-17 08:07:09

Introducing was the hard part and I think it was more me than them because as you can see, Darwin is huge and I was scared he'd hurt her! I had to put new kitten in spare room for a few days and would swap blankets etc so they could get used to each others smell, then fed them on each side of the door which I thought was stupid but Darwin wouldn't touch his food at all the first day so he could definitely tell!
Then once he did eat it, I put Millie in the travel box and put them in a room together!
After all this, I eventually thought I'd risk it and put them together, a few hisses here and there throughout all this but after a week they were together!
Darwin was absolutely petrified at first but never showed any aggression and now Millie definitely rules the roost
It all takes time and patience but we got there, just google different ways of introducing them as there's millions of different ways 😊

hemel07 Tue 11-Apr-17 09:16:04

Thankyou for all your advice. I do tend to agree with you Badcat. We always had at least 3 unrelated cats living together happily when we were growing up.
Anyone have a spare kitten?!

Catch583 Tue 11-Apr-17 19:26:08

We had a fifteen year old cat when a stray kitten moved in, cuddled up and kept her warm. Old Cat loved her new baby, especially when kitten washed Old Cat's ears.
Most cats will accept another after the initial spitting and swearing.

TheHoneyBadger Tue 11-Apr-17 20:57:55

I'm finding rescue centres are hard work. I have known many happy indoor cats in my lifetime yet they want no part in rehoming a kitten to anyone without a garden.

Basically it means I will buy privately and further the market in breeding - I don't feel good about that but I am genuinely sure we can give a cat good life and we really want a cat in our family again so?

EachandEveryone Tue 11-Apr-17 21:20:04

I've had the same problem with rescues which is why my second kitten is coming from someone at the tennis club in 8 weeks and it was my lovely cattery that vouched for me and told them how well looked after the one I already have is. You just need to put your feelers out someone at school or somewhere will know of someone. I tried so many rescues they just wouldn't tolerate a kitten in a flat. A three double bedroomed flat as well! Funnily they would only give their kittens away in pairs as well.

hemel07 Fri 14-Apr-17 21:55:16

Ok, I've given up on the rescues but have found a beautiful boy kitten from a really lovely, responsible lady so am going with that!! We cant have him until the end of May, very excited but I do feel slightly guilty about our current cat. She'll be fine, right? All advice gratefully accepted re a seamless introduction and happy ever after!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now