Talk

Advanced search

When to let kittens out alone?

(5 Posts)
dementedpixie Mon 10-Apr-17 11:56:37

My 2 kittens have just reached 5 months old and I have been supervising them in the garden. One of then keeps climbing up the middle of the tree or the fence and I keep bringing them back down. At what point do you just leave them to go where they want? They are neutered and microchipped

dementedpixie Mon 10-Apr-17 17:19:58

Nobody had this issue before? Please advise

robinia Mon 10-Apr-17 17:26:14

I did it at about 9 months. Partly due to time of year. Before that they were on leads.
Once they were off they were off and gone though. Spent several months worrying when they weren't back in the house before dark - but they always came back at some point. They're now five years old and keep pretty regular hours.

Heratnumber7 Mon 10-Apr-17 17:28:50

Have they had their injections?

We let ours out from 6 months. She kept to the garden for a while, but we figured she'd explore further when she was confident she could come home again.

dementedpixie Mon 10-Apr-17 17:42:33

Yes they've had injections, flea treatment, worm treatment, etc and were neutered recently and got their microchips. I'll maybe keep them enclosed for another few weeks before letting them go further. Keep having to pick one out the middle of a conifer tree though as he is so fast and just clambers up the trunk using the branches.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now