Talk

Advanced search

Would I be nuts to buy this?

(43 Posts)
EachandEveryone Sun 09-Apr-17 14:13:35

i can't stop buying things for her. I think it's when I'm at work knowing she's on onher own til 9pm it's only three days a week then she she has me 100% I feel guilty not having a garden but she does go out with the boy next door, I feel bad not getting two and I almost got her a playmate yesterday but the lady never got back to me. Is this worth it? Or will it be another one of those things she turns her nose up at?

merlynsam Sun 09-Apr-17 14:26:11

My first cat was an 'only' until he was 8 years old. I rescued a kitten that was going to be drowned by a neighbour and he took to a play-mate straight away. I wished I had done it sooner - and never had a lone cat again until my last old boy was 18 years old (and lost his litter mate 9 months before) but I had a dog by then who was more fun to tease!.

I was only out 8.30am - 4.15pm and he snoozed most of that time. I still bought toys.

I am not sure what your picture is. Is it a cratching/climbing thing? They do like them.

Mine had one like this: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AAAVAE0/ref=s9_acsd_zwish_hd_bw_bVtTnz_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=SWWBFTKXQJZJD1NXD522&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=fe8b4ebc-1a47-54bc-9af0-a16cece7e834&pf_rd_i=471289031&tag=mumsnetforum-21

EachandEveryone Sun 09-Apr-17 14:32:19

It's attached to wall up high although she's so lazy I don't know how she'd get up there

silkpyjamasallday Sun 09-Apr-17 14:36:54

I think that looks like super good fun for a cat, but it would look a bit strange on the wall, and could perhaps encourage dcat to start acrobatics on shelving?

EachandEveryone Sun 09-Apr-17 14:42:36

I live in a flat maybe the shelf type? But they are abit boring?

ZilphasHatpin Sun 09-Apr-17 14:45:42

Well the cat in the picture looks really happy and is proof that your cat absolutely will use it so I say yes.

On an unrelated note I have recently donated a shit load of (never even looked at!) cat beds and toys to the cats protection. wink <side eyes my spoiled cats>

RubbishMantra Sun 09-Apr-17 14:53:40

If you do, expect her to completely ignore it until you start ruminating about donating it to a shelter. If she already has a scratching post, I think the cat shelves are nice.

<goes off to look at them>

EachandEveryone Sun 09-Apr-17 14:55:39

Oh if you find a cheaper version do share the builders here for the next few days I can pretend they are for my book collection.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 09-Apr-17 17:48:33

Buy her the pets at home squeaky mouse with a catnip spray chaser.

She won't care your out. Mine makes out he misses me but does he give a monkeys at 1:30 when we're frantic?. No.

HemanOrSheRa Sun 09-Apr-17 17:55:05

Buy it. Buy all of it grin. Only joking! I'm not sure having cat shelves above the bed is good feng shui? I don't fancy Frankie thundering down from them onto the bed whilst I am in it. But he is a great gangly idiot. Your dainty girl may be different smile.

How about a fancy cat tree? There are loads on Zooplus.

EachandEveryone Sun 09-Apr-17 18:04:59

I know but they fall over I was aiming for stylish if that's possible sone of the Canadian ones are fantastic I could kick myself for not buying one in tk Maxx

HemanOrSheRa Sun 09-Apr-17 18:26:46

Ours is sturdy. Frankie loves it. Although Pippa isn't fussed. She prefers the storage basket stuffed with an old cushion that, funnily enough, I bought in TK Maxx!

EachandEveryone Sun 09-Apr-17 18:42:19

Homesense in Brighton had fabulous ones in I couldn't carry it on the train though

HemanOrSheRa Sun 09-Apr-17 18:44:10

Have a look on Zooplus Each. They have a vast selection.

MsMims Sun 09-Apr-17 18:54:29

This may not be helpful but when she's young and you clearly adore her, I think the best boredom buster you could give her is a playmate blush

All of our cats when younger have got a lot out of having a playmate. Some are still very close (sleeping entwined and snuggled up together) and others are happy to enjoy their own company as they age. But in their younger years, having a similar aged or playful older cat has been a massive boon for the younger ones.

HemanOrSheRa Sun 09-Apr-17 19:10:54

<gasp> you are an Enabler MsMims shockgrin.

MsMims Sun 09-Apr-17 20:20:15

grin

EachandEveryone Sun 09-Apr-17 21:26:54

I do live in a flat though but yes there's a cat at the tennis club who's due any day and I have been asked. How much harder can it be. I've been on my feet all day and now I'm waggling a sparkly thing like a loony and she's just sat there. Every time I
Put it away she goes to thecupboard until I get it out. This has been going on for an hour and homeland has started and wine is in the fridge will it be worse with two?

HemanOrSheRa Sun 09-Apr-17 21:48:48

Well, of course there is no guarantee that if you got a new edition that they would hit it off. My two tolerate each other. And a new kitty will have a completely different personality. Your girl is still young and will calm down. But honestly? I think you have a lot of love in your heart and you'd be just fine with another cat smile.

Weedsnseeds1 Sun 09-Apr-17 21:55:48

Hmmm. Have you considered a collection of cardboard boxes and paper bags? I have donated various cat castles, tunnels, climbing frames etc. to the local shelter as they were completely ignored. Rings from the neck of milk bottles are also popular and free!

EachandEveryone Sun 09-Apr-17 22:04:10

She still likes her tunnel at least if i did get a friend it might use what shes got bored of. My god have you seen that baby section in Pets at Home? Its outrageous its like shopping for a newborn child.

I have alot to give i should get myself on a dating site or summat instead!

Kiroro Mon 10-Apr-17 08:35:10

i can't stop buying things for her.
@EachandEveryone are you me?????

I have a serious kitten-gift shopping habit. Every day a new amazon parcel gets delivered to work for me.

Scratchers, cat tree, little toys, cat nip stick things, puzzle feeder, cat grass seeds, activity boards, tunnel, replacement feathers for da bird... so. much. stuff.

Saying that - the kittens favorite toy is a bit of bloody cardboard my mum ripped off a box and put down for him!

He does love his cat tree though because he can get up high.

EachandEveryone Mon 10-Apr-17 13:45:05

I wonder if I could do it with Argos shelves

HemanOrSheRa Mon 10-Apr-17 16:07:50

I think the shelves would have to be deep in order to allow for movement without your cat rolling off when grooming etc. But I don't see why not.

HemanOrSheRa Mon 10-Apr-17 16:12:18

They have wall mounted cat beds on Zooplus m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_beds_baskets/wall_mounted_cat_bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now