Talk

Advanced search

I caved and we've now got a cat

(26 Posts)
MaitlandGirl Fri 07-Apr-17 12:30:24

in addition to 3 crazy dogs and a useless lump of a rabbit we now have a kitten!

He's a very small 9 week old called Spencer. Our female dog thinks he's one of her puppies, the oldest dog doesn't really care either way and the youngest can't decide if he's terrified or fascinated!

The kids (16-21) keep arguing about who he likes the best and who can get him to purr the most and I'm currently doped up on antihistamines as I'm very allergic to cats but that will settle down over the next few weeks as I spend more time with him.

I'm already dreading the amount of dead mice he's going to bring us lol!

YetAnotherSpartacus Fri 07-Apr-17 13:29:03

<MELTS> what an absolute SWEETIE! And such a lovely name. AWWWWWWWWW!!!!! Congratulations!

bonzo77 Fri 07-Apr-17 13:38:16

I've never met a black and white that wasn't a great family cat. He's lovely.

mortificado Fri 07-Apr-17 13:42:15

Awww!!!! He's so cute!
Looks like mine when she was a kitten!

MaitlandGirl Fri 07-Apr-17 14:01:56

Thank you - I agree he is very cute although he's currently yowling in the bathroom (his safe place overnight until he's a bit bigger as the dogs are loose in the house) and it's carrying through the aircon vents so our female dog is now crying! (It's 11pm here).

I have a feeling he'll be spending the night on one of the kids beds tonight.

Trustyourself2 Fri 07-Apr-17 14:59:48

Ah, he's very sweet. He needs a hug at night, that's all. Good luck.

Kiroro Fri 07-Apr-17 16:10:39

What a nice collection of pets :-)

joangray38 Fri 07-Apr-17 16:12:29

What a sweetie and a great collection of nice natured pets - my cat would have tried to attack him

Weedsnseeds1 Fri 07-Apr-17 16:20:36

Oh, what a sweetheart!smile

MaitlandGirl Sat 08-Apr-17 02:10:39

So after having Spencer at the vet this morning we've discovered our 9wk old, microchipped kitten is actually only 5 weeks old and not chipped.

Seriously not impressed and it's a damn good job it's now the Easter holiday and DD2 is off school as theres a lot more work involved with Spencer than I thought.

The vet explained in great detail why he's not 9weeks old and why he's only 5weeks and is reporting the guy we got him from to the RSPCA and council.

HemanOrSheRa Sat 08-Apr-17 03:09:26

Oh dear. Is Spencer healthy apart from being tiny? He looks older than 5 weeks to me though, so an easy mistake to make. He is very cute! Thank goodness he is with you now - you sound like an experienced pet owner smile.

MaitlandGirl Sat 08-Apr-17 03:23:15

I think he's healthy - the vet didn't have any concerns just confirmed what I thought was right about how to feed him.

The picture of him is very deceptive (it's the angle) he's so small his head is about the size of a ping pong ball with ears stuck on to it.

He doesn't have his premolars yet, but his eyes have started to change colour which is why the vet put him at 5 weeks.

We were told that the paperwork, and vacinnation would follow (yes I know!) as they were at his ex girlfriends house (very recent breakup) so weren't too concerned about not leaving with them.

Our female dog has taken over all care of him and snuggles with him and nudges him out of the way when he's getting to close to something he shouldn't. She had a litter in Nov so is still very much in mum mode :D

Bleurghghghgh Sat 08-Apr-17 04:59:37

More photos, more photos!

MaitlandGirl Sat 08-Apr-17 05:06:36

He's so cute when he's asleep and not yowling!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 08-Apr-17 06:49:41

No wonder he was miaowing in the bathroom overnight. It's a good job the dog is in mum mode. He has something warm and furry to snuggle at least.

Good on the vet.

picklemepopcorn Sat 08-Apr-17 07:06:27

I'm glad he has a mummy dog. Poor little mite, he must be a bit bewildered.

MaitlandGirl Sat 08-Apr-17 07:12:35

He's awake (and well fed so feeling very playful). Hiding in the bottom of the bathroom shelving unit playing peek-a-boo.

hapagirl Sat 08-Apr-17 07:16:51

He's so adorable. How lucky he has landed with a nice family and mummy dog 💓

wtffgs Sat 08-Apr-17 08:14:17

Oh my goodness! What an adorable wee chap <also melts>

Glad you have a foster "mum" on hand. More photos please! grin

HemanOrSheRa Sat 08-Apr-17 10:11:28

He looks very happy and perky! Bless him. And bless your dog for fostering him. That is lovely smile.

ElizaDontlittle Sat 08-Apr-17 12:59:33

He is so cute!!! Awww - but 5 weeks without mum, that's terrible. Glad he has a foster-mum-dog, and you have the time to look after him.

YetAnotherSpartacus Sat 08-Apr-17 13:04:04

He is an absolute sweetie. So young still, but give him 6 months and he'll be running the shop!

TheseAreTheGoodOldDays Sat 08-Apr-17 13:20:10

Any chance of a photo of Spencer with his dog-mum? grin

MaitlandGirl Sun 09-Apr-17 00:15:46

Fed Spencer just before I went to bed last night (about 2am) and he was much happier. Very sleepy and cuddly (so I had to have a shower before bed!) and ate all his food. He then didn't wake up until about 8am so a much better night with him. We've been smushing his wet food down into a paste with some added kitten milk and he's tolerating that much better than before, when it was just meat. Next weekend we're going to start introducing smushed biscuits. The vet felt it was better to take him right back to basics with his food as we don't know how he's been cared for previously. Luckily he knows what to do with his litter box and can/will lap water from his bowl.

He's such a sweetheart and very, very friendly. Our older dog is still ignoring him and the youngest had a good sniff of him once we got 'mum' away from him. She full on snarled at the poor dog yesterday when he got too close to her 'puppy'!

I'll try and get some photos of him with Miss Finty later today.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 09-Apr-17 07:20:30

He's going to be a species confused cat, he'll be doing play bows next.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now