Talk

Advanced search

Where can I buy a nice collar for a big cat?

(21 Posts)
FaintlyBaffled Fri 07-Apr-17 08:34:36

FaintlyCat is quite large and not the most coordinated chap. He manages to lose collars as a hobby, simply because he hooks them on things and keeps walking, his bulk means they just snap apart.
We've had most success with Rogz collars as they have an adjuster thingy on the catch that you set to the size of your cat. FaintlyCat is always on the heaviest setting so when he loses one then it's probably saved him from choking himself. I'm struggling to get them now though, Amazon have some but they are quite girly (and FaintlyCat is a fine figure of masculinity) or very plain.
In essence I'm not overly bothered how much it costs (within reason!) so long as it a) lasts and b) doesn't kill him.
Help!

ChestnutsRoastingOnAnOpenFire Fri 07-Apr-17 08:38:48

Does he need to wear one? If they come off that's a good thing as they are safe. I know what you mean though. I'm just resigned to buying cheap ones regularly (I like them to look 'owned' although that may be a bit irrational). I get the ones from pets at home and they are adjustable to a good size. I find the ones with 2 prong catches stay on better than the single piece ones.

Weedsnseeds1 Fri 07-Apr-17 08:43:15

Maybe Etsy has someone making custom ones?

FaintlyBaffled Fri 07-Apr-17 08:45:04

Yes, I think it's looking "owned" actually chestnuts, particularly as he's a rescue.
Also he's a walking catastrophe and i think it's so much easier to reunite him with us in such an event is by using his tag (we are quite rural so a distance from the nearest vets)

Trustyourself2 Fri 07-Apr-17 09:26:32

FaintlyCat sounds so lovely. As Chestnuts says, I've bought loads of collars through the years, including Rogz, now I just buy cheap safety collars and still Rogz sometimes. Mine wear collars at all times & they're microchipped. Two of mine are currently sporting red, gingham bandana safety collars!

Supermarkets, pound shops and markets are good places to buy them.

RubbishMantra Fri 07-Apr-17 09:44:21

You're right Weeds, Etsy have some lovely ones. The boys sport Mogs Togs. I only put them on so I've got something to attach their Loca8tors to.

Wolfiefan Fri 07-Apr-17 09:45:48

I really wouldn't put a collar on my cat. Far too likely to get caught or cause a collar injury. We did use elasticated Velcro collars called beastie bands but I can't find them anymore.

FaintlyBaffled Fri 07-Apr-17 09:53:19

Ooh rubbish I love that MogsTogs website. DH has just popped in unexpectedly and I had to shut it down quickly- he thinks FaintlyCat and I spend too much on collars <git>
grin

Trustyourself2 Fri 07-Apr-17 10:14:33

Look at this handsome chap. Found him on www.businesscatual.com

iloveeverykindofcat Fri 07-Apr-17 10:16:36

He sounds lovely! My old boy Sam whom I lost young was a bugger for taking his collars off. He did it on purpose and left them all over the neighbourhood.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Fri 07-Apr-17 10:22:34

Found my cat hanging from a tree some years ago. Proper safety one. . Never used one since. Yuck.

FaintlyBaffled Fri 07-Apr-17 10:39:39

I suspect DH would leave home if FaintlyCat was gadding about the neighbourhood in a bow tie trust grin
He thought the Mabel and Mu superheroes one was almost a step too far, but FaintlyCat obliged by losing that within a morning hmm

RubbishMantra Fri 07-Apr-17 11:07:25

Really moira? And it was quick release snap-off one, not one of the elastic "safety" ones? I always pinch the prongs in, or file them down, so they release v. easily.

YetAnotherSpartacus Fri 07-Apr-17 11:38:52

Do we get a picture <wheedles>.

TheWayYouLookTonight Fri 07-Apr-17 11:47:28

I get these:

www.amazon.co.uk/d/Cats/Gloss-Reflective-Collar-safety-buckle/B008PST3DY?th=1&psc=1&tag=mumsnetforum-21

The breakaway buckle seems pretty good, and they are inexpensive so i have a stash of spares for when the Mr T comes home without it! The reflective coating is the best I've seen too - it's the main reason i make Mr T wear a collar. Personally I would never use an elasticated collar on a cat.

Soubriquet Fri 07-Apr-17 11:50:31

I really like these red dingo

I had them for my dogs too. These are safety buckle and snap open nicely. I did have one for my cat but she hates collars so doesn't wear it. It does come with a bell but you can easily remove it.

Guiltypleasures001 Fri 07-Apr-17 11:52:59

Can we have a pic of him please op 😁

FaintlyBaffled Fri 07-Apr-17 14:09:08

FaintlyCat in his natural habitat. Come to think of it, I'm not sure how he can lose so many collars when all he seems to do is sleep grin

YetAnotherSpartacus Fri 07-Apr-17 14:13:20

Oh, gorgeous! When he wakes can we have a snap of him in his full majesty???

FaintlyBaffled Fri 07-Apr-17 14:17:29

I'm not sure "majesty" is quite the word I'd use to describe him yet grin
I'll do my best but he's <ahem> not the most photogenic child wink

YetAnotherSpartacus Fri 07-Apr-17 14:24:25

... well "a fine figure of masculinity" then smile He has a gorgeous face - it's just a bit hard to make out in that photo smile. I bet he's dreaming about losing collars.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now