Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone got a more unfaithful cat than mine?!

(25 Posts)
StillMedusa Thu 06-Apr-17 20:24:29

Obie has always been a 'character'. Thinks nothing of wandering into other people's houses and making himself quite at home.. to the extent that I get photos posted on my FB that neighbours have taken of him on their sofas and beds!

On Monday he is (sadly) off for his annual shave of embarrassment... being a 24 pound Maine Coon who (unlike his sister) refuses to be groomed at ALL, it is a necessity as he is once again matted to hell in his undercoat.

Soooo, I set off around the neighbours to ask them not to feed him on Sunday evening. As I left one neighbour, he remarked 'you'd better call at Thelma's two doors down.. I've seen him in there too'. So off I went, rang the doorbell, and Thelma AND Obie came to the door!!!! We had a nice chat and I explained how he was going for a shave, and please could she not feed him on Sunday. When she mentioned that he would probably be on her bed Sunday night anyway (!) I suggested she kept him in and I'll bring the basket round Monday morning.
I have given up trying to be his sole owner.. he is a six dinner Sid by nature and also he hates my elderly Portia. Thelma adores him and is retired so has all day to keep him company (he still won't let her groom him mind!)
But then she demonstrated how he has learned to give her kisses for cat treats....!!!!

My other cats have always been faithful, but he really is something else!
Standby for the awful photo of shame on Monday....

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Thu 06-Apr-17 20:33:30

I hand reared a litter of 5 and kept 2. I vanished a couple of years later. Then we moved with the remaining boy. A few years down the line he too vanished for ten nights. . Managed to crawl home with his back leg hanging off. . Leg removed and right as rain. . Sloped off now and then for longer spells. . I put notices up and 3 people contacted me to say it was their cat!! Once I showed them all his kitten pics they agreed he was mine but were all attached to him!! He lived between us for a few years until we all lost touch with him. .Maybe he had become a one - house - cat at last!! Preferable to a sorry ending. He was a much loved Felix style cat!

HemanOrSheRa Thu 06-Apr-17 20:35:44

Kisses for cat treats shock grin. Shameless!

PigeonFingers Thu 06-Apr-17 20:43:51

I'd like a pre-shave photo please smile

Although you may then get lots of posts from people thinking he's their cat.

picklemepopcorn Thu 06-Apr-17 20:51:40

Yes, photos of this shameless chap, please!

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 06-Apr-17 20:56:36

24lbshock, mine's a big brute at 7Kg, but 24lbshock. Pictures certainly required (assuming he wanders in for a snack and a kip at some point before the "big reveal" at the vet's), I love a big cat!

HemanOrSheRa Thu 06-Apr-17 21:04:04

Ooh yes, pics please! We haven't seen Obie for aaaaages! He is a big gorgeous boy smile.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 06-Apr-17 21:11:30

It's a kick in the teeth that's for sure. little sod.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 06-Apr-17 21:14:44

Didn't you post last year, that Obie had a personality transplant after being shaved because he hated his coat? Kissing for treats. Ha ha

StillMedusa Thu 06-Apr-17 21:15:47

I will try and get a 'before' over the weekend.. and then an 'after' :D
Gorgeous he may be...just wish I was the recipient of his attention now and again, instead of being a cafe along the way!

iloveeverykindofcat Fri 07-Apr-17 10:19:17

Zara is my one-person cat but Bibi has no specific attachment to me. She's very friendly and purry (was a rescue) but anyone will do. I've left her with sitters when I go on holiday and minutes after I leave they've texted pics of her on their laps getting her tummy rubbed. No shame.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 07-Apr-17 10:36:26

My parents cat has started going out at 7 am and not returning till 2200. Hungry but not ravenous on return. Had to break it to my parents that's he's probably cheating on them. Probably with a lady who has recently lost her Cat. And he has been seen walking along the apex of her bungalow roof. He now wears a college that says do not feed me on it. My parents told him that it said Very handsome Cat in order to get him to wear it. gringrin

Kiroro Fri 07-Apr-17 10:38:35

I put notices up and 3 people contacted me to say it was their cat!!

No way! Cats are so funny!

YetAnotherSpartacus Fri 07-Apr-17 11:36:29

Medusa, from Obie's perspective its a case of 'there are all these nice people who pet me and feed me and give me scritches and places to sleep ... and this one psycho in number x who tortures me by taking me to the V.E.T. . Who the F does she think she is anyway?'

StillMedusa Fri 07-Apr-17 16:59:24

Yetanother... I suspect you are absolutely right!!!

FetchezLaVache Fri 07-Apr-17 17:04:17

Not me, but a friend was once owned by Raymond, who was being fed by so many different neighbours that he grew too fat for his cat flap!

ImBreakingBad Fri 07-Apr-17 17:10:47

Ah, fellow Maine coon owner grin. We've 5!! One of ours (the lunatic of the family) enjoys sleeping in beside our neighbour. They tell us every few days what she's been doing. She also enjoys following DH to the car and taking trips with him grin

HemanOrSheRa Fri 07-Apr-17 17:46:41

5 Maine Coons?! envy. Can I come and stay at your house? smile

StillMedusa Fri 07-Apr-17 17:57:06

5?!!! Your house must be awash with fuzzy tumble weed balls of hair ...mine's bad enough with two MC and a random long haired moggy!

Mind you , you may have perfected grooming unlike me! (Ophie lets me... Obie, as we know..does NOT!)

ImBreakingBad Fri 07-Apr-17 18:00:14

Yes 5 blush. Our loving lunatic mated with next doors MC and I couldn't give up the miniature kitties (DH's face was priceless!!) I kept 2, my mother and father kept 2 and we adopted another who was having to be rehomed due to her 86 year old previous owner taking ill. I'm a sucker for them grin

billythelurcher Fri 07-Apr-17 19:01:13

Yes, we have a 18 month old ginger tom and he goes in at least 4 of the neighbours houses.

He sits on one of their dustbins and looks through the kitchen window meowing like he's never been fed before and she lets him in and feeds him.

The thing is he's not very nice to us, he's definitely not a cat you could just go and pick up. Everything is on his terms and he changes at the flick of a tail.

I often wonder if he's nice to the neighbours and just doesn't like us!

Babyblues14 Fri 07-Apr-17 19:05:58

Same here mine used to bugger off to the neighbors (who were elderly). She would feed her fresh chicken and ham and bacon so by the time she got back she didn't want the whiskas crap that we had. She spent so much time there that my neighbor discovered my cat was pregnant before I did. Thankfully they moved so I got cat ownership back as she wasn't fond of the new neighbors dogs

Babyblues14 Fri 07-Apr-17 19:08:19

Oh and once I tried to deflea her with a flea spray. BIG MISTAKE!!!!! Shame on me for not wanting her to have flea and be uncomfortable. She ripped a chunk out of my arm as soon as I sprayed it. Actually had to get stitches. I looked at her differently from that day on lol

Aroseforemily Fri 07-Apr-17 19:11:34

My old boy has 3 homes that I know about. We see quite a bit of him in the winter months but from now until October we'll be lucky to see him once a week. He spend a lot of time with a retired lady who has a collection of cats, them there's the guy across the road who buys salmon for him and I'm sure there are others.
Sometimes we don't see him for weeks, we fear he's died but then he comes trotting in without a care in the world.
He reminds me of Bustopher Jones from Cats, he has the same markings too.

mistermagpie Sat 08-Apr-17 07:09:28

Not my cats but my neighbours. They have a gorgeous black cat and he's basically the estate cat. We have a Facebook group for our estate (new builds, lots of chat about 'snagging' and how to set the central heating - you get the idea) and he's famous on there, people put up photos of him in their houses, on beds and in cars etc. My DS loves him but we have two cats of our own who feel differently so we try not to let him in the house. He's a stealthy bugger though and just yesterday he wandered out of my spare room in the late afternoon, I had been in since morning so he must have been there the whole time!

We stopped giving him treats and things a while ago because he has got really fat. He's not got any thinner though so I presume the other neighbours feed him. I think his owner has just accepted the situation and has said he quite likes the fact that people will take him in when it's raining!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now