Talk

Advanced search

JamGirl has a suspected brain tumor

(9 Posts)
wejammin Tue 04-Apr-17 22:14:25

My little girl cat, nearly 12, has been behaving strangely for a few months, bloods were all fine, we wondered if she was depressed after we lost her brother on NYE 2015.

Her appetite rocketed at the start of December, and then in 22nd December she had a seizure. She's had 6 seizures since then. She's lethargic and mopey. More tests show nothing except some slowness in her eyesight.

We can't afford the referral to a neurologist for scans, so the vet is treating her on the assumption it's a brain lesion, it could be cancer or not. I'm picking up steroids tomorrow. I'm so worried, and we've got so many camping trips and family visits in the next few months, our cat sitter is lovely but I'm already anxious about leaving her.

We've had her nearly 10 years, my DCs love her too.

She's affectionately know as Rubbish Cat because she can't climb, jump or hunt, has never even caught a spider.

ThomasandFriends Tue 04-Apr-17 22:53:17

So sorry to hear that. Poor baby. x

thecatneuterer Wed 05-Apr-17 00:39:00

Oh no that's awful. And that's a huge responsibility to put on a cat sitter. For the family visits at least is there any chance you could take her with you and keep shut in a room or even crated? At least you will be there then if she needs to be rushed to the vet.

wejammin Wed 05-Apr-17 07:22:09

The cat Sitter is a professional Sitter, she's said she's happy to still visit her. If she gets worse I'll have to rethink everything, but she's eating and drinking and puttering about.

Taking her with us anywhere would just be so stressful for her, she hates the car and hates the car box and then hides for days.

minmooch Wed 05-Apr-17 09:36:00

In your situation I'd have her PTS. She's had a wonderful long life. Don't let her suffer especially as you cannot make an animal understand.

Trustyourself2 Wed 05-Apr-17 10:04:41

Sorry to hear this.You must be very stressed. Just be guided by the vet and let your sitter have all possible contact details. Will your sitter be staying at yours? Don't make any decisions about her future when you're feeling under pressure. Will you be so far away that you won't be able to get back to her quickly?

wejammin Wed 05-Apr-17 11:35:17

minmooch I wouldn't want her to suffer, but I think at the moment she has quality of life. She is eating and comes for cuddles, and runs up to bed with me at night. Yesterday she was chasing some string with DD. I think with her brother we left it too long and I don't want to make that mistake ever again.

Trust the sitter is local but just comes in once a day. We're not going far, always in the UK, apart from 5 days in the Isle of Wight but that's not until August so we can always reconsider nearer the time.

wejammin Wed 05-Apr-17 22:29:40

Just successfully gave JamGirl her first tablet, with the help of some chicken sandwich paste (bleurgh) and a pill syringe. It's predisolone, does anyone have experience of cats on this medication? The vet says it can cause increased thirst and hunger, but that cats can tolerate it quite well. Online discussions suggest long term use can lead to diabetes.

Vinorosso74 Wed 05-Apr-17 22:34:56

Sorry to hear about your cat.
Our cat has had predisolone albeit for different conditions. She did have a slight increased appetite but we did need her to eat more. Unfortunately she is now diabetic but due to the fact her pancreas is damaged due to pancreatitis, it was only short term use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now