Talk

Advanced search

How to get the medicine AND the so- called 'palatable' food into poorly cat

(8 Posts)
akaWisey Tue 04-Apr-17 20:09:29

DCat has an infection in her intestine AND the beginnings of cystitis. Vet has treated both with long acting medication in an injection because tablets are a no-no.

But she has Canikur Pro supplement that I just KNOW is going to be hard to get in her mouth AND he's given her some veterinary wet food which obviously she won't eat except for the gravy and then went for her Dbro's dry cat food. I gave up chasing her around the house with her bowl saying "here you are Dcat Mmmmm, what's this? loveleeeee yum yum" . I sneaked the dose of Canikur into the gravy however (Victory for me!) and so she had that.

But - expert feline MNers. If she can tolerate her usual high quality dry food and water and will take the Canikur in the gravy of the other very expensive vet food, do you think that's ok?

lljkk Tue 04-Apr-17 20:10:07

How old is she?

Toddlerteaplease Tue 04-Apr-17 20:16:13

Have you tried lik e lix. They are good for covert administration.

akaWisey Tue 04-Apr-17 20:25:54

She's 6.

Yes I've tried like e lix before and it was quite successful. I could buy some more of that.

akaWisey Tue 04-Apr-17 20:27:38

She only needs to Canikur for 6 days so I'm probably panicking and this is day two.

Weedsnseeds1 Tue 04-Apr-17 21:15:29

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC372253/
Some helpful advice here smile

UrethaFranklin Wed 05-Apr-17 11:47:40

What wet food have they given her and can you see if it is available in dry form? My cat has special dietry food prescribed by the vet, he won't touch the wet version but gulps down the dry!

akaWisey Wed 05-Apr-17 18:37:08

Weeds I read that 'advice' at work over lunch. Made me roar with laughter it was so funny grin. Spoke to the vet nurse who said if DCat is managing to tolerate the usual dry food then it's better she eats that than not at all (she'd gone all day without so much as touching the wet stuff).

I caved and bought some lik-e-lik stuff and managed to get what I think is most of today's dose of the Canikur stuff though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now