Talk

Advanced search

Applaws cat food

(29 Posts)
LurkingQuietly Tue 04-Apr-17 19:43:09

The master of our house has decided that he will only eat applaws tins. Many thanks to the lady at the Cattery who introduced him to essentially cat caviar! It's costing approximately £70-80 to feed him for a month! He has refused to eat any other brand I've found so far.

Can anyone recommend either somewhere cheap to bulk buy, or even better, a cheaper brand that has very small chunks, or even better shredded meat? Oh, and must be in gravy too because...you know...he's the boss hmm

£1.09 for 70g is crippling me! Joking aside, we may be entering a belt tightening period so I'd like to pre empt this and try and reduce costs where poss.
Thanks!

dementedpixie Tue 04-Apr-17 19:45:17

Bitiba and zooplus have good deals. My cats eat feringa and bozita food at the moment. Think bozita has gravy options

fuzzywuzzy Tue 04-Apr-17 19:45:45

Pets at home tend to have offers on it.

And I buy it from zooplus, I've also bought the discount from them so I get a 7% discount on each purchase.

Won't lie, I do tend to spend more on the cats than the kids! But it's reassuring the food composition of high in meat and low in ash. Our cats have been healthy and happy since I put them on applaws.

MyDarlingWhatIfYouFly Tue 04-Apr-17 19:46:37

I ordered the last lot from bitba. Quite a good deal on 24 can batches if I remember rightly.

HariboFrenzy Tue 04-Apr-17 19:47:49

I might be wrong but isn't the applaws wet food complementary rather than complete? Have you tried giving the dry applaws? My cats​like this and it makes their fur very soft

HecateAntaia Tue 04-Apr-17 19:48:24

i get mine from amazon. its about a tenner for 12 cans.
she also has dry food (james wellbeloved) so she has just one can a day plus her biscuits
(and far too many webbox lik-e-liks. i am a sucker for big eyes 😁)

LurkingQuietly Tue 04-Apr-17 19:48:45

Thanks for responding. I didn't write it, but obviously his health and happiness are paramount. I'm a bit concerned that I won't be able to keep this standard up though.

Pets at home do the 26 for the price of 20, but it's still blooming expensive! Will take a look at the other sites and brands though. Thanks.

LurkingQuietly Tue 04-Apr-17 19:50:10

He has biscuits down every day, but barely touches them. He's just been for his annual check up/jabs and vet commented on his general good health and said to continue with high quality wet food as that's his preference.

hugoagogo Tue 04-Apr-17 19:52:39

Ours likes it too, but only gets one pouch every other day, the rest of the time she has biscuits and a slightly cheaper royal canin intense beauty hmm pouch.
I was also under the impression it was not suitable for feeding exclusively.

Laska5772 Tue 04-Apr-17 19:54:28

Try Sainsburys Delicious Cat food?
Dcat was poorly the other week ( he usually only eats Whiskas and refuses everything else ) we were suggested Applaws , but sorry to say I baulked at the price ( especially as he wasnt eating at all) .
DM gave me some of the sainsburys delicious pouches for him to try , It was just shredded chicken, looked like aApplaws and once he was starting to want food again he ate it.. Luckily for us Dcat is better now and back on his beloved Whiskas

Laska5772 Tue 04-Apr-17 19:55:52

sainsburys delicious details

dementedpixie Tue 04-Apr-17 19:58:56

Whiskas doesn't have a great meat content and contains sugars too so I didn't want to use it for my kittens. My two have a mix of wainwrights tuna, James wellbeloved lamb and feringa (2 flavours just introduced in the last week). They have had bozita kitten food too but seemed to be going off it which is why I got the feringa stuff

MyDarlingWhatIfYouFly Tue 04-Apr-17 19:59:09

You can buy trial packs on zooplus - mine have Applaws, feringa, catz fine foods, Costa, animonda carny, Bozita and whichever quality dry food is on offer. We have to rotate as they go off each brand temporarily then will take it again after a few months. I think Applaws may be the most expensive of that lot so hopefully he will go off it soon and into a cheaper brand!

LurkingQuietly Tue 04-Apr-17 19:59:29

Great, thank you. Will look at those.

Vet said fine for exclusive feeding. Slightly worried now so will research more.

Bloody thing - I do nothing but worry, but he still won't give me the time of day!!

MyDarlingWhatIfYouFly Tue 04-Apr-17 20:00:50

Costa? Cosma I meant grin I'm sure they'd love a latte though.

Laska5772 Tue 04-Apr-17 20:14:37

demented.. I always wondered if Whiskas had sugar.. perhaps that iswhy Dcat loves it so much!! ..

dementedpixie Tue 04-Apr-17 20:15:46

Think they also have cereals and I avoid that too as cats can't always digest them well

PhoenixJasmine Tue 04-Apr-17 20:18:10

Encore (available in supermarkets) is made by the same people as Applaws and seems to be the same stuff but cheaper

OooohHorlicks Tue 04-Apr-17 20:38:30

I found it cheaper to buy the 156g tins and use the Pets at Home 26 for the price 20 deal on that. I split it between 2 cats but you could split it over two days. They get biscuits to free feed on - mixture of Applaws and Go Cat - and for dinner they get budget Butchers Classic - half a tin between 2.

hugoagogo Tue 04-Apr-17 20:39:48

Oh Phoenix that's really good to know. I had googled to no avail.

Patienceisvirtuous Tue 04-Apr-17 20:42:45

We have a mog who refuses to eat anything except Applaws tins - but does lower herself to munch on Purina biccies too. We get it 26 for 20 at PAH. She has 1.5 tins a day.

We live to please our mogs so we just fork out 😬🐈💸

HecateAntaia Tue 04-Apr-17 23:45:36

same here!
i have to cut my own hair but princess gets her fine dining 😂

EachandEveryone Wed 05-Apr-17 10:22:17

Mine loves that Sainsburys finest chicken its £3 for six packets. I bulk buy Feringa too and ive just ordered their kibble. I use lilys as well. I try to keep her grain free as much as i can afford! They say they dont need as much of the expensive stuff as it fills them. I dont know how true that is.

LurkingQuietly Wed 05-Apr-17 11:09:52

I swear it's like cat crack - he has conditioned us very well and he makes it perfectly clear when he's wanting food (stands/sits right in front of your feet and tries to shepherd you to the cat food cupboard in the kitchen hmm), so I don't know how filling it is.

EachandEveryone Wed 05-Apr-17 11:16:05

Do u think complementary is not as filling though. I'm embarrassed by my cat food stash anyone would think there's a war coming. I buy it all on offer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now