Talk

Advanced search

Don't know why MCat's being a wanker

(18 Posts)
RubbishMantra Tue 04-Apr-17 18:19:20

Obviously I won't re-home him - he's a bitey, neurotic middle aged cat (and I don't want to, I love him). My hands are covered in scabs and scars though. Every time he's near me, if I even dare to breathe, he bites, quickly, like a snake. I'm fed up of changing the bed sheets all the time, because they're bloodstained.

Last time I went to the doc. they thought I was self harming.

He must really resent me, but I don't know why.

ElizaDontlittle Tue 04-Apr-17 18:44:44

My aunt had a cat like that - I used to babysit for my dcousins and when she got home it was, well, the children were delightful but as for the cat...! I would walk down the stairs with him hanging from my ankle by his fangs.

Is he like it with everyone? Do you feed him? I guess you've tried Feliway and other obvious chilled out type things?

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 04-Apr-17 18:58:36

Is he in pain?

HemanOrSheRa Tue 04-Apr-17 19:04:24

Has he always been this bad with you Mantra? My Pip has got a bit hissy and curmudgeonly as she's got older. I doubt very much that he resents you my dear flowers.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Tue 04-Apr-17 19:06:27

That sounds very difficult. Have you tried Feliway? Wondering if it's a stress thing for him. Anything happened recently that could be stressing him out?

ZilphasHatpin Tue 04-Apr-17 19:07:20

Sounds like he needs a check up at the vets. Could be a pain somewhere.

RubbishMantra Tue 04-Apr-17 19:11:59

Yes Eliza, he's been giving fang a lot more recently. I feed him, (just me and my 2 cats now) maybe I'll order another plug-in. I've not been too well recently, so maybe that's it, and he's making a bid for TopCat?

He's so sweet, then suddenly chomps, even when I'm not touching him. And yes, he'll have a bite at anyone whose nearest. One time a friend was visiting, going through a hard time, and MCat sat on his lap. I said, "see, he does have empathy!" Then he bit him twice in the hand.

Now he's yowling about the house feeling sorry for himself.

RubbishMantra Tue 04-Apr-17 19:22:14

Oh, he's always been this way. (dd)DH was shocked when MCat allowed me to stroke him. He'd not allowed touching from anyone before me.

I think I'm just having a whinge really.

HemanOrSheRa Tue 04-Apr-17 19:41:32

Whinge away if it helps flowers.

Weedsnseeds1 Tue 04-Apr-17 21:19:31

He goes out doesn't he? So can't be that. Do you remove him from the area and tell him off? I know the consensus is that cats can't be trained, but they aren't stupid, clicker training is possible. Other than that, not sure what to suggest.

HemanOrSheRa Tue 04-Apr-17 22:39:40

That's what I would do Weeds. Tell him off. I'd stop engaging with him too. Not in a nasty way but just become 'don't care' (it's been a long day and I'm waffling and can't think of the wordy thingummies). If he came up to me for cuddles and then bit me I would say a very firm 'NO. NAUGHTY'. And walk away. Or pick him up and put him on the floor. Cats definitely aren't stupid, as you say Weeds.

I hope you are OK Mantra. I know it's upsetting when we think our little creatures don't like us or won't let us love them flowers.

Weedsnseeds1 Wed 05-Apr-17 08:05:45

Some cats bite when they are over-excited as well.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 05-Apr-17 09:16:32

Harry has always been a bitey, scratchy cat. It's improved since he lost his fangs, but the ones that are left are bloody sharp! I'm used it now though and wear my scars with pride!

RubbishMantra Thu 06-Apr-17 14:15:11

I think I may just have to resign myself that MCat's a bitey bugger - I don't mind too much... He's actually a very loving boy, just a bit.. unpredictable at most times.

And he's not as violent as Lana's Mr.C. No emergency doc's. appointments so far. And he's never bitten my anus because I farted. Which Lana's Mr.C actually did to her.

HemanOrSheRa Thu 06-Apr-17 21:55:55

Heehee! Give us a warning post if you are going to post stuff like that Mantra grin. I choked on my hobnob. Fancy being bitten on the anus for farting shockgrin! Imagine explaining that at the walk in centre.

LanaorAna1 Thu 06-Apr-17 22:05:13

M I too have had the self-harm questionnaire from the GP. Isn't it shaming? grin

Well, I am with you as the blood sisters that we are, so to speak. Do you think it might be the change in season that's freaking Mcat out? Mr C was awful last week.

Have you tried screaming? That sometimes works. I don't have to try to raise the roof, it bloody hurts and I think it puts Mr C off.

Also, get some calendula and arnica and smother your poor hands, then neutrogena the socks off them for a week, they'll recover quite fast. Talking of socks, I'm upfront about wearing bedsocks and gloves if nec. in and out of bed, might be worth a try.

The anal attack remains memorable. Please let that never ever happen to you. I can't even do a smiley about it.

LanaorAna1 Thu 06-Apr-17 22:07:51

Mcat loves you, that's why he knows he can get away with it. He doesn't resent you at all, he's sharing his feelings with you and treating you like a cat grin

RubbishMantra Fri 07-Apr-17 12:28:42

Ah, thanks all. I know he luffs me, but he's so unpredictable, even when I'm sitting still, statue-like.

Sorry I shared Mr. C's bite of shame, L. I hope he was truly repentant for his misdemeanour. Had he been drinking cider?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now