Talk

Advanced search

Something smashed through our cat flap last night.

(9 Posts)
FunkinEll Tue 04-Apr-17 09:07:12

My poor kittens are totally traumatised today.

They have the run of downstairs at night and the cat flap is always locked. They were really noisy in the night I, stupidly, put it down to them being in most of the day yesterday because we were having a new patio laid. My husband let them up when he left for work and girl cat did a poo on our duvet (which I had changed the night before just to make matters worse). So I brought them down stairs and the flap of the cat flap had been smashed just leaving a big hole.

They are so jumpy and scared this morning. I feel terrible. They've not purred once yet and they usually purr as soon as I get near to them. Is there anything I can do to make them feel secure again. H is going to block the hole up with some wood later until we get a new one. The old one came with the house and I assume was quite old.

RubbishMantra Tue 04-Apr-17 09:58:07

Oh bugger! This happened to me years ago, at stupid O'clock, on the morning of a festival some distance away. I had to put gardening gloves on to pull the interloper out from under the cabinets.

Helping them feel secure - can you lay your hands on some Feliway and toys stuffed with valerian? Be warned though... Valerian smells like a tramp's feet with stilton used as foot cream.

Seems like you're at home with them, your presence will be the best medicine. Lots of fuss and kindness.

Ooh, just had a thought, interloper cat probably sprayed - the smell would be freaking them out. Have you got a keen sense of smell or a UV light? (fluoresces grim substances)

ExplodedCloud Tue 04-Apr-17 10:09:05

I once had a fox repeatedly throw itself at my cat flap which was pretty alarming. It broke the cat flap but didn't get through the upvc door.

ThomasandFriends Tue 04-Apr-17 10:11:40

Was it a see-through flap? Might be an idea to get an opaque one so that nobody can see in (and the kits can't see out and be freaked by something walking past),

As for today, I agree with Rubbish - you just being there will help enormously. Just act like it's a normal day, but be around (if you can) so they come to you if unsettled. If they want to stay inside can you bloke the catflap with cardboard or something (but they may want to go out now it's daylight so they can reclaim their garden).

Poor babies, though. Lots of hugs and strokes from me.

ThomasandFriends Tue 04-Apr-17 10:12:14

Oh, and if you are going out can you block them in and leave a radio on?

YetAnotherSpartacus Tue 04-Apr-17 10:53:00

Poor kitties! I do recall some neighbours a few years back who owned a particularly stroppy cat (used to take on large dogs) were woken at stupid o'clock to a full-on no holds barred cat fight in their house. Took them ages to get the interloper out. They were also surprised once by a large rabbit (the cat apparently just looked utterly confused on that occasion).

Was it a see-through flap? Might be an idea to get an opaque one so that nobody can see in (and the kits can't see out and be freaked by something walking past)

What's the guideline on this? Someone told me once that clear was better because puss wanted to see that they were not going to be walking into danger when they used the flap (do they make them with little security cameras)?

ThomasandFriends Tue 04-Apr-17 11:12:04

Hadn't heard that (about opaque flaps) but that might be true. I know my previous cat got terribly distracted by her clear one when the old flap had to be replaced (incidentally when she broke it flying through it pursued by something): her food was right by the door, and she'd stop eating every time a fly flew past and go and investigate.

It's probably OTT to suggest getting a clear one but covering it over when they're in at night, isn't it?

Martinwildlife Tue 04-Apr-17 12:41:50

EC so what did you eventually do were you under siege until the fox decided to call it a day? Just call me next time ;)

YetAnotherSpartacus Tue 04-Apr-17 12:46:00

It's probably OTT to suggest getting a clear one but covering it over when they're in at night, isn't it?

No? If you are going to lock it then why not also cover it? smile Isn't that what slaves are for?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now