Talk

Advanced search

Why does cat puke up first meal of the day?

(14 Posts)
Peopleplease Mon 03-Apr-17 09:11:53

Cat - 7 year old neutered male car. Found as a stray as a tiny kitten. Been with us ever since.

Anyway the last few weeks he's started throwing up the first food of the day. It's always a pouch - same brand, hasn't changed. He'll have about half and then it'll reappear.

If I give him the same food later he's absolutely fine. It's JUST the first of the day.

Why is he doing this??

In case it's relevant, he's an indoor/outdoor cat, no litter box inside.

ElizaDontlittle Mon 03-Apr-17 09:16:47

Mine does it occasionally because she eats too fast. She was an adult stray and occasionally forgets she doesn't have to fight anyone for her food! But daily for a few weeks I think I'd be taking him to the vets. I don't know if that's too cautious!

HeyMacWey Mon 03-Apr-17 09:21:11

Try giving a smaller amount of food and see if that makes a difference.

Mine is sick when she eats either too much too fast

HecateAntaia Mon 03-Apr-17 09:25:38

eating too fast?
try giving him dry food for breakfast

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 03-Apr-17 09:32:34

my first cat would often yak up his breakfast...just greediness. Also it was worse when he had dry food, I think they would swell in his stomach.

I am not a fan of dry food for cats.

HecateAntaia Mon 03-Apr-17 09:34:28

meant to say my girl was also a stray. she was so malnourished when my mum found her that she was much smaller than she should have been. vet 're aged' her (iyswim) at her 2nd check up

she has been with us 3 years now and she still has huge food issues. (and abandonment issues!) and she gets very upset if her bowl of food is empty. so we keep it filled and out. she is happy with that. she doesnt overeat (any more). it seems like all she needs to feel safe is to know that it's there . she keeps checking it. sad and i just watch her and think there's a cat who has really known hunger.
anyway, waffle over, perhaps this will work for you - leave a bowl of dry food out.

she regulates herself and has set her own mealtime pattern. but it gave her what she needed in terms of control and security.

maybe you'll think that's ridiculously anthropomorphasing 😁 (or however you spell it) but maybe worth a shot?

ThomasandFriends Mon 03-Apr-17 09:43:56

Hecate - that reminds me of my last cat, who was found in a back garden with another cat after their owners had moved. She lived with us for 15 years and in that time there were only a couple of occasions she didn't leave a wee bit of food in her bowl. She needed the security of knowing there was something to come back to.

She would also root through all bags for food, and would eat dust my mother had swept up, but luckily that habit didn't last long.

HecateAntaia Mon 03-Apr-17 10:07:41

that's so sad isnt it? they never forget. poor little thing.
im glad she found a good home with you.

ThomasandFriends Mon 03-Apr-17 10:17:41

She was spoilt rotten. She was poorly for the last year or so (but not bad enough to be pts until the very end) and lived the life of Riley! She wouldn't eat much, so my mother would go to Waitrose deli counters and buy her v small portions of naice ham, beef, salmon, prawns...you name it, she had it!

Glad to hear your wee one is in a much more stable, and loving, home now. Give her a hug for me!

Peopleplease Mon 03-Apr-17 11:44:18

There is a permanent bowl of dry food out. It's only just been happening for the last 2/3 weeks and it's not every day so I don't think it's greediness.

It generally happens after he's eaten about half a pouch.

HecateAntaia Mon 03-Apr-17 12:36:52

ha thomas you should see the buffet my baby cat has. she is also most pampered.

op, you could take him to a vet and get him checked out, rule out anything that needs treating.

ThomasandFriends Mon 03-Apr-17 14:47:53

Awww, Hecate, I'm glad to hear it!

OP - I agree that a vet visit might be an idea. If it's any consolation, though, my cat's fairly often sick and I tend not to worry about it. Sometimes it seems to be that food on top of a mouse isn't a great idea, but other times I think my cat just plays at being a Roman - eat til you're stuffed, throw up, and then start again!

wejammin Tue 04-Apr-17 22:25:23

When my boy cat did this the vet said it was reflux, and we had to feed him last thing at night so he wasn't so hungry in the morning which triggered his reflux. It was linked to his kidney disease though so maybe check his water intake?

cinders15 Thu 06-Apr-17 13:46:43

My Bengal girl started doing this
I now groom her as I thought it was hair balls
She grooms herself at night so the first morning meal reappeared
I got a rake that does under layer and one for top layer and much better
She just needed help getting rid of winter coat
Worth a thought? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now