Talk

Advanced search

Am I being cruel to my PFT?

(15 Posts)
bigtapdancingpimp Sun 02-Apr-17 11:55:49

That's my precious first tabby grin

I've had her for 11 years and have added other cats over the years, all of which she's hated. She just wants it to be me and her hmm. I had a boycat PTS last year (hated him) and took in a rescue kitten shortly after (recently PTS). She pretty much had a nervous breakdown after the last kitten and would lash out at him (he didn't care!) and growl and hiss and generally was very stressed. I have another younger female cat but they just ignore each other.

My issue is, I loved having a new cat in the house. He was a little rescue baby and totally deserved a chance in life. He brought a new dynamic to the household and changed everything. Where I live there are charities with hundreds of cats wanting new homes (I'm thinking later in the year) but am I just being selfish wanting a new cat? PFT is so much happier without an interloper and so much more relaxed but it annoys me she seems to think she's the boss of this house.

WWYD?

Toddlerteaplease Sun 02-Apr-17 12:41:52

I think you have to be guided by her. If she's not happy with other cats then I think you'll have to resist the temptation to get another. I'd love another cat but I don't think my PFP's (Precious first Persians) would be over keen.

bigtapdancingpimp Sun 02-Apr-17 13:09:31

Thanks Toddler I've been so wrapped up in my own grief over the loss of the kitten I've not even considered PFT's feelings. I always thought she'd grow to love other cats but no, it's just PFT hearts Pimp 4eva grin

Trustyourself2 Sun 02-Apr-17 17:14:16

If you're willing and able to keep the cats separate in your house, as I have to, then you can bring another cat in to the household. It's not an ideal situation and it drives me bananas, but I took in a stray who won't tolerate one of my other cats, so I'm forced to keep them separate.

If I were you though, I'd keep things the way they are and maintain a relatively straightforward cat household.

Floralnomad Sun 02-Apr-17 17:17:53

Unless you can keep them separate I think you are being very unfair to the older cat . I'd love a second dog but know that my dog would hate it so we are a strictly one dog household , I'd hate to upset him .

bigtapdancingpimp Sun 02-Apr-17 19:13:26

Yes I've decided I'm being unfair to grumpy tabby; thank you for all your advice.

Can you all just take a look at her poor little face and appreciate her pain?

ElizaDontlittle Sun 02-Apr-17 19:18:00

I'm a one cat household. Crazycat does not share. Not with dogs, cats, other people, or children. doesn't stop me looking at my local rescues' websitest longingly though

nothruroad Sun 02-Apr-17 19:21:05

That is a cat who knows her rightful place as head of the household. Gorgeous!

Toddlerteaplease Sun 02-Apr-17 19:30:35

She's gorgeous!

bigtapdancingpimp Sun 02-Apr-17 19:39:58

She is nothru She hates my mum and it's mutual. Blood is often drawn lol.

Eliza we'll look at the little pussycats longingly sad

LivingInMidnight Wed 05-Apr-17 19:32:21

She's beautiful!

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 05-Apr-17 19:47:48

I can see her pain, those sheets aren't 1000 thread count Pima cotton are they?.

You monster 😹😹😹

Mines an only cat too. Although I'm not sure my nerves could cope with two asbos.

gobbelinothewitchescat Wed 05-Apr-17 19:51:41

Oh I sympathize Pimp - my PFB (precious first beasts...) absolutely hate all other living creatures and won't tolerate them anywhere near their kingdom. I'd love a fluffy little rescue kitten but I also value my toes and I suspect they would slice them off while I'm sleeping if I tried to introduce a new cat into the house....

Kiroro Wed 05-Apr-17 20:59:20

She is seriously beautiful

Toddlerteaplease Thu 06-Apr-17 10:10:53

Precious first beasts. Love it!! gringrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now