Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I think Cat is in season, lots of noisy males in the garden.

(20 Posts)
Smeaton Sat 01-Apr-17 21:21:00

I there any other reason why 5-8 cats would suddenly decide to take up residence in my garden? Our girl cat sits out there with them and I don't see any Ahem activity that would need 70s easy listening music accompanying it.

JamesDelaneysHat Sat 01-Apr-17 21:24:03

Err .. is she spayed?

isseywithcats Sat 01-Apr-17 21:24:13

if your girl is in season for gods sake get her in het her to the vets and get her neutered the rescues up and down the country are full of kittens because people dont neuter their cats and yes that probably is why they are in your garden and they probaly have owners who A should have neutered their tom cats and B are wondering where the hell they are right now because they could be anything up to 5 miles from home and may not get back home and end up strays rant over

ShatnersBassoon Sat 01-Apr-17 21:24:17

It might just be a social club.

Get the cat spayed so you don't need to look out for Ahem confused

Vinorosso74 Sat 01-Apr-17 21:27:29

Yes get her spayed if she isn't already and keep her securely inside until then she's been done.

ThePlatypusAlwaysTriumphs Sat 01-Apr-17 21:29:33

Cats are reflex ovulators, so they will get pregnant EVERY SINGLE time they mate. If she is unneutered and going outside she WILL, without doubt, get pregnant.

JennyHolzersGhost Sat 01-Apr-17 21:29:37

Get her snipped ffs.

Smeaton Sat 01-Apr-17 21:31:40

I don't know if she's Speyer, she's booked in with PDSA on 20th to be done.

By rights, she's not my cat. She appeared 3 weeks ago, taken up residence here. She's been checked for microchip, we've put posters up, been in local fb groups, asked cpl, etc.
The cats all turned up yesterday.

Its why I'm asking if there is any other reason why the noisy buggers would move in. If there's no other reason, its a good sign she is in season and there fire needs speying.

I hope that makes sense.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 01-Apr-17 21:39:33

Keep her in until the 20th, I know it's hard but I had to keep the Bengal in for three weeks so it can be done.

There's no kitten shortage and the rescues need the chance to rehome what's coming.

Smeaton Sat 01-Apr-17 21:44:23

For what its worth, the first thing I did was call CPL for advice. They said to take her to a vet, we did. The vet scanned for chip and looked her over but couldn't tell if she was speyedr not.
She looked for a tattoo on the tummy, a snipped ear and a scar? She couldn't definitely say she was or wasn't. That was last Monday after, I called PDSA who suggested book in her in anyway at the nearest hospital, earliest appointment is 20th, that was last Wednesday. If we find who she belongs to before then I'll let them know she's booked in.

Meanwhile, I'll keep her in, I've bee reluctant too in case she wants to go home. Iyswim.

thecatneuterer Sat 01-Apr-17 21:46:39

Yes keep her inside until the 20th, or get the appointment brought forward if you can. It's great that you're looking out for her though.

It certainly sounds as though she is in season and the toms could well chase her so far away that she won't be able to find her way back to you. Plus it's better that she isn't pregnant when she is spayed, although it can still be done of course. Try to get an earlier appointment.

JennyHolzersGhost Sat 01-Apr-17 21:49:55

Ah I see. Sorry for being short with you OP. Definitely keep her in and be on your guard because she may well do everything she can to escape !
And yes take her in as soon as you can.

JennyHolzersGhost Sat 01-Apr-17 21:50:23

And yes try to get an earlier appointment.
And also well done you for taking her in flowers

JennyHolzersGhost Sat 01-Apr-17 21:52:22

And no there is no other reason for the toms to show up. She needs spaying.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sat 01-Apr-17 21:53:25

If she wants to get out by hook or by crook she will do. If she's in season and not been spayed.

Vinorosso74 Sat 01-Apr-17 22:01:44

Ah ok I wrongly assumed she was your cat. That is quite a wait until 20th. Is there a CP branch near you? They may be able to arrange a spay sooner either?

Smeaton Sat 01-Apr-17 22:13:55

We live in a small town in the middle of very little. The PDSA hospital is about the nearest vet, apart from the equine places that charge £40 to look at a cat before doing anything.

The local I took the stray too for the microchip scan was going to charge me £35 for the 5 minute consultation, CPL had said they should do it for free though so they didn't charge in the end.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 01-Apr-17 22:32:33

No way they should charge for scanning for a chip.

It's very kind of you to take her in.

Smeaton Sat 01-Apr-17 22:40:24

Its not so much kindness as it is lack of option on our part.
Our back door was open one day, I nipped to the loo in the middle of making lunch, came back to find tin of tuna was gone and a happy cat was sat in our garden. She has refused to leave since.
We would lock her out at night, shed be still sat on the bin in the morning.
I'd chase her from the back garden, shed be sat in our front garden minutes later.

I couldn't see her starve or sleep in the rain, so in she came. She now scarcely leaves my knee or sofa, only to roll on her back in the garden and chat to her male admirers it seems

JennyHolzersGhost Sat 01-Apr-17 23:03:10

Moh! Good on you OP. flowers
I hope you don't end up with kittens grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now