Talk

Advanced search

Long haired cat hygiene

(11 Posts)
Mermaidinthesea Sat 01-Apr-17 10:38:20

So Smoky my long haired cat (half British long hair, half moggy) came in liberally smeared with poo which was stuck all over his hind quarters and legs.
The groomer usually gives him a "hygiene cut" at the back but even so he still sometimes gets in a mess.
I had to get scissors and gloves and cut it all off him while he hissed and squirmed.
You can't bath him because it turns his fine fur into dreadlocks which then have to be shaved off.
I'm wondering if there is some kind of cat safe wet wipe on the market.
Sorry lovely topic!

Trustyourself2 Sat 01-Apr-17 10:47:12

I use a cat comb on my cats hind quarters, which gets rid of the majority of the YUK. Then I get a wet cloth and wipe the area down. Fortunately, it doesn't happen too often & they don't create hell, too much!

DumbledoresApprentice Sun 02-Apr-17 07:47:31

I sometimes use those pure water wet wipes on my cat. Especially to clean behind her ears where her fur gets a bit greasy.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 02-Apr-17 08:30:59

I used to use the pure water wet wipes as well. Unfortunately they scarper as soon as the pack came out. So I gave up on it!

Bogburglar75 Tue 04-Apr-17 07:50:26

Unbelievably, Pets at Home do sell a packet of things called Tushie Wipes. Once I gritted my teeth and bought a packet, they did work rather better than the ordinary variety.

The two things that work for Bogbastard though are a trim round the back end, and grain free food.

dementedpixie Tue 04-Apr-17 07:53:29

I use a microfibre cloth and some warm water or stick the offending area under the running tap (lukewarm). I have used baby wipes too plus you can get dog/cat cleaning wipes in the supermarkets/pets at home, etc

RubbishMantra Tue 04-Apr-17 08:20:00

I use Refresh'r wipes on Little M's big greasy ears. Probably similar to Tushie Wipes. <cringes> Think I order them online from Zooplus.

Mermaidinthesea123 Wed 05-Apr-17 18:47:51

Thanks folks I'll try that...tushie wipes LOL!

Bogburglar75 Thu 06-Apr-17 10:29:16

I was in PaHome buying something else so just to prove it grin

I see they also have 'multipurpose grooming wipes' now'!

Bogburglar75 Thu 06-Apr-17 10:31:29

You can in fact get separately labelled ear wipes, paw wipes, and tushie wipes, in the same range.

Is there anyone, however besotted, who would have three separate types of wet wipe for their cats? My children make do with one packet of Aldis finest for all body parts!

Booboo27 Thu 06-Apr-17 10:32:57

This very occasionally happens to my Maine coon cat and it's so gross. It's usually just when he's had diarrhoea though so maybe check your cat isn't feeling poorly.
I usually wet some kitchen roll and try and get as much off. I'll then use a cat brush on it (which I steep in boiling water and washing up liquid afterwards) and will try trim any clumps out when he's sitting relaxed. He'll also remove any tiny bits when he's grooming too (gag!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now